Writing Your Abstract
Examples of abstracts. While most abstracts
should include all of the elements listed here, all elements may not be
appropriate for all categories.
- Objective or Goal:
- State the objective, goal, or hypothesis upon which the
project is based. Example: My objective was to learn if the
feeding habits of hummingbirds are affected by color.
- Materials and Methods:
- Indicate the materials, methods, and experimental design
used in your project. Briefly describe your experiment or
- Summarize the results of your experiment and indicate how
they pertain to your objective.
- Indicate if your results supported your hypothesis or
enabled you to attain your objective. Discuss briefly how
information from this project expands our knowledge about the
- As illustration of this structure, here are two examples of abstracts in the
- Life Sciences, and the
- Physical Sciences.
California State Science Fair
Recommended Abstract Structure