APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID
We encourage you to apply for financial aid once you have submitted your application for admission. Graduate students must meet the May 15 deadline and all eligibility requirements to be considered for all forms of financial aid. Applications received after this date are considered for Federal Direct Stafford and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans only.
Students must also be registered at USC for at least half-time each semester to be eligible for Federal Direct Loans:
- Master's students must register for four (4) or more units or be enrolled in a course considered full-time by the registrar (thesis/dissertation).
- Doctoral students must register for three (3) or more units or be enrolled in a course considered full-time by the registrar (thesis/dissertation).
For information about graduate fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships see Grants & Fellowships.
May 15, 2014
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Complete the 2014-2015 FAFSA Application online.
- Use your best estimate of 2013 student income.
- USC’s Federal School Code is 001328.
- Apply as early as January 2, 2014, but before the May 15, 2014 deadline.
- Online students: Apply as early as eight (8) weeks before the start of your first class or as soon as possible thereafter.
- Enrollment and Housing Form
Complete the Enrollment and Housing Form online by visiting My Financial Aid and Documents and following the directions provided. You will find the Enrollment and Housing Form in the Document Library.
- This form requires you to enter the range of academic units for which you will enroll each semester. If you are unsure how many units you will take, please contact your academic department for help prior to submitting this form. The enrollment units you select in this form MUST match your actual enrolled units in order for your financial aid to be properly disbursed.
- Apply before the deadline of May 15, 2014 or as soon as possible thereafter.
- Online students: Apply as early as eight (8) weeks before the start of your first class or as soon as possible.
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
Most graduate and professional students borrow a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan to cover a portion of their cost of attendance.
- Complete the Federal Direct Loan Request form online by visiting My Financial Aid and Documents and following the directions provided. You will find the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form in the Document Library.
- For instructions on receiving your loan funds and more information about the loan program, visit our Federal Direct Stafford Loan Web page or www.studentloans.gov website.
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
Many graduates and professional students borrow a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan to cover a portion of their attendance.
- The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is credit-based. Please visit our Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Web page for detailed information regarding credit requirements.
- Complete the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Request, by visiting www.studentloans.gov. Sign in to Manage My Direct Loans, then click on Request a Direct PLUS Loan. Once you have completed the process, the Department of Education will notify us electronically.
- For instructions on receiving your loan funds and more information about the loan program, visit our Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Web page or www.studentloans.gov website.
- Federal Work-Study*
To be considered for Federal Work-Study, students must:
- Submit the FAFSA and Enrollment and Housing Form by May 15, 2014;
- Enroll in 8 or more units per semester; and
- Meet a financial need requirement.
- Important note:
- Submit any additional documents requested by the Financial Aid Office within 10 days.
- Documents submitted to the USC Financial Aid Office become the property of the University and cannot be returned to the student or duplicated for any purpose.