Alloki Mayur Bhatt, M.S. Computer Science Alloki used the USC Payment Plan to finance her tuition. She also earned wages working part-time in an on-campus job.
To determine your eligibility for federal and university financial aid, complete the Citizen and Non-Citizen Verification Form.
If you do receive financial aid funds while at USC, you will need to complete the W-8BEN Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Form.

With its global outlook and location in a proudly multicultural city, USC offers a warm welcome to international students. Citizens of more than 130 countries comprise 17 percent of the university's student body.

Only U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens are eligible for certain types of financial aid. However, other sources of aid may be available to international students who are not U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.

Students in USC doctoral programs receive extensive financial support that enables them to devote full attention to their studies.

Financial Aid Eligibility

U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens only

  • Federal aid (financial aid from the U.S. government)
  • University-based financial aid
  • Application fee waivers

international students

  • Merit-based scholarships
  • On-campus work (not including Federal Work-Study).
  • Off-campus work, with permission from the Office of International Services.  Please note that off-campus work authorization is very limited.
  • Private financing. In most cases, students will need to apply for financing with a co-borrower who is a credit-worthy U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident. (Contact lenders directly for citizenship requirements).

California Dream Act Cal Grant:
This California state grant program now provides AB540-eligible students the opportunity to apply for Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B via the California Dream Act application. To be eligible, students must:

  • Have attended a (public or private) high school in California for three or more years;
  • Have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma; and
  • Be registered as an entering student, or be currently enrolled, at an accredited institution of higher education in California.

In addition:
A student without lawful immigration status must file an AB540 Affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) with the institution of higher education, stating that the student has filed or will file an application to legalize his or her immigration status as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

California Dream Act Cal Grant recipients are selected based on the eligibility criteria outlined in the California Dream Act Application and on the timeliness of their application. California Dream Act Applications must be received by March 2. Please visit for more information and an application. Undergraduates awarded a California Dream Grant, and who meet all other eligibility requirements, are considered for limited university funding.

Graduate and Professional School Students
  • Awards from your academic department or professional school (Contact the Graduate School)
  • On-campus work (not including Federal Work-Study).
  • Off-campus work with permission from the Office of International Services.  Please note that off-campus work authorization is very limited.
  • Private financing. Contact lenders directly for citizenship requirements. (International students are not eligible for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.)
©2013 University of Southern California