General Information

A limited amount of financial aid is available through the Financial Aid Office and through some academic departments for the summer session. Contact your department directly for more information about any financing they may offer for summer enrollment.

Applying for Summer Financial Aid

To qualify, you must:

  • Meet all general financial aid eligibility requirements.
  • Be enrolled in classes at least half-time (6 units) to receive most loans and/or grants. (Federal Work-Study, however, does not require enrollment in classes.)
  • Adhere to the following deadlines:
    • Apply at least six (6) weeks before the start of your earliest summer class.
    • Allow up to three (3) weeks to process a Summer Loan Request Form or Summer Pell Grant Application.
    • To apply for summer work-study, you must submit the Summer Work-Study application by March 31, 2015.

Early application allows us to determine your eligibility for loans before the end of the summer session Drop/Add period.

Receiving Your Funds

Be sure to follow all instructions provided on your Financial Aid Summary.

Summer financial aid will be posted to your student account no sooner than one week before your earliest summer class. Loans will be disbursed after you start classes.

Potential Delay of Disbursements Due to Monitoring of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Financial aid may not be disbursed to a student's account until SAP has been evaluated. The Financial Aid Office cannot complete the SAP evaluation until prior semester grades have been officially posted by the Office of Academic Records and Registrar. Therefore, an otherwise eligible student may experience a delayed financial aid disbursement if grades are not made official before the beginning of the subsequent semester. No exceptions can be made to this process.

IMPORTANT: Tuition and fees for summer classes are assessed at the time of registration and due when billed, regardless of class start date(s). To avoid late fees, you may be required to pay any outstanding balance on your student account before your financial aid funds can be posted. If you have applied for financial aid, your billing balance will be deferred once we have processed your loan request.   Please visit the Student Financial Services website for more information about settlement of your student account.

Summer Loans

The following loan programs may be available to eligible students who enroll in the USC summer session at least half-time (6 units) and follow the application instructions below.

Please be aware that your loan could be cancelled if it is based on plans to enroll in two (2) summer sessions and you do not complete both sessions, or if your total enrollment drops to less than half-time for the entire summer.

For document submission instructions, please visit Your summer loan application will be reflected online in your "2014-2015 Document Status."

Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

  • Submit a completed online Summer Loan Request Form to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Please Note: Stafford Loans are available on a limited basis for summer study. The following students may have some limited eligibility:
    • Students who have not already borrowed their full 2014-15 academic year loan eligibility.
    • Students who will graduate at the end of the summer 2015 or fall 2015 semesters.
    • Students who will advance from freshman to sophomore status at the end of the spring 2015 semester.
    • Students who will advance from sophomore to junior status at the end of the spring 2015 semester.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

  • For parents of undergraduate students.
  • Submit a completed online Summer Loan Request Form and the online Federal Parent Loan Request to the Financial Aid Office.

Private Financing

Available for students enrolled less than half-time to full-time.

  • Submit a completed online Summer Loan Request Form to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Contact your lender directly to apply for the loan.

Loan Advisory: Prior to applying for private loans, students should exhaust all Federal Title IV assistance available, including Federal Pell Grants, the Federal Direct Stafford Loan and the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan. The repayment terms of federal loan programs may be more favorable than those for private loans.

Private student loans cannot be included in Federal Direct Consolidation Loans, are not eligible for Federal Income-Based Repayment Plans, and are not eligible for Federal Economic Hardship Deferments.

Visit Private Financing for more information.

Summer federal work-study

Continuing students can earn up to $3,500 through Summer Federal Work-Study. You are not required to be enrolled in summer classes to qualify. Funds are awarded to students with the greatest financial need who:

  • Intend to enroll at least half-time at USC for the fall 2015 semester;
  • Meet all general eligibility requirements for financial aid, including Satisfactory Academic Progress;
  • Demonstrate financial need for both the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 academic years;
  • Are on-time applicants for 2015-2016 financial aid; and
  • Submit a Summer Federal Work-Study Application (completed by both you and your prospective USC employer) to the Financial Aid Office by March 31, 2015.

For document submission instructions, please visit

Potential Effect on Your Future Financial Aid Eligibility

The federal government requires that summer Federal Work-Study earnings—minus any employment-related expenses—be considered when determining your financial aid eligibility for the following academic year. As a result, your eligibility for other financial aid programs may be reduced.

summer cal grant

Continuing undergraduate students who receive Cal Grant funds may request that a portion of their funds be used for the summer session. To be considered for a summer Cal Grant payment, you must enroll at least half-time in the summer term at USC.

To be eligible for a summer session Cal Grant, you must:
  • Be an undergraduate student who has not yet completed a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Be enrolled at USC at least half-time for the summer term, and be considered eligible for the Cal Grant by USC.
  • File a 2014–2015 FAFSA before June 30, 2015, with USC’s Federal School Code (001328) indicated, if you have not already done so.
  • File a 2015–2016 FAFSA before June 30, 2015, with USC’s Federal School Code (001328) indicated, if you have not already done so.
  • Complete a Summer Federal Cal Grant Application and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.

Please visit for document submission instructions.

Please note: When calculating your overall Cal Grant eligibility, the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) considers the summer session a full semester of eligibility. This means your eligibility for the regular academic year will be reduced by an equivalent amount, so it is in your best interest to maximize your summer session unit count. Twelve (12) units are required for the full-time grant, six (6) for the half-time grant.

summer pell grant

To receive a full-time Federal Pell Grant payment, you must enroll at USC for 12 summer units. Less than full-time enrollment may qualify you for a prorated Pell Grant.  Students also need to have completed 24 units in the prior academic year to be eligible for summer Pell Grant.

Applicants for a summer-session Federal Pell Grant must:

Please visit for document submission instructions.

Please note: Summer Pell Grant funds replace a semester of Pell Grant eligibility from the preceding fall or spring semester. To receive Pell Grants funds for summer 2015, you must not have received a full Pell Grant for fall 2014 or spring 2015. This includes receiving a Pell Grant at another institution for the fall 2014 or spring 2015. If you received your full Pell Grant eligibility in the 2014-2015 academic year, you will not be able to receive an additional Pell Grant for summer 2015.

©2013 University of Southern California