February 1, 2013

  • CSS/PROFILE Application
    Complete the 2013-2014 PROFILE Application online. This, along with your FAFSA information, will help determine your eligibility for USC student aid funds.
    • Submit as early as October 1, but no later than February 1, 2013.
    • Use your best estimates of 2012 parent and student income.
    • Be sure to include your Social Security number.
    • USC’s CSS School Code is 4852.
    • USC does not participate in the CSS IDOC program.
    • USC does not require the CSS Business Supplemental Form.
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    Complete the 2013-2014 FAFSA Application online. The FAFSA determines your eligibility for the low-interest Federal Direct Stafford Loan as well as federal and state grants.
    • Submit as early as January 2, but no later than February 1, 2013.
    • Use your best estimates of 2012 parent and student income.
    • USC’s Federal School Code is 001328.

March 2, 2013

  • California Residents only: Apply for a Cal Grant
    The Cal Grant is worth up to $9,223 annually at USC.

    Freshman Applicants and Transfer Applicants Not Currently Receiving a Cal Grant:
    • Submit the FAFSA and have the school you currently attend or most recently attended submit your certified GPA to the Cal Grant Program.
    • For the fastest, most secure processing, your school may upload GPA information directly to the California Student Aid Commission's system.
    • If electronic submission is unavailable, request that your school certify a paper Cal Grant GPA Verification form (available at www.csac.ca.gov).
    Transfer Students Who are Currently Receiving a Cal Grant:
    • If you received a Cal Grant at your previous college, you will need to transfer the grant to USC by posting a school change at WebGrants for Students (at www.csac.ca.gov).

As Soon As Possible, If Applicable:

  • Tax Return Information
    Submit student's and parent's federal tax information as soon as possible, if requested. Please visit My Financial Aid & Documents and follow the instructions provided. You will need your completed, signed tax return, along with schedules and W-2 forms, when submitting this information.
    • USC does not require state tax returns.
    • For the fastest processing, submit tax information online. After you submit your tax information, we will update your status and let you know if we need any additional information, including a copy of your tax return for verification purposes.
    Students and parents not legally required to file a 2012 federal income tax return must:
    If you are not legally required to file a federal income tax return for 2012, submit a completed 2013-2014 Student and/or Parent Non-Filing Statement Form.

If your parents . . .
  • are married and filed separately: Submit information for both tax returns.
  • are divorced or separated: Provide information from your custodial parent's 2012 federal tax return. If your parents filed jointly for 2012, submit information from that return. If your custodial parent has remarried, submit information for him/her and your stepparent. You will be advised if tax information from your non-custodial parent is required.
  • are not legally required to file a federal income tax return for 2012: Submit a completed 2013–2014 Parent Non-Filing Statement form.
  • file a tax return in another country : Submit a 2013-2014 Parent Non-Filing Statement form indicating that they are filling a foreign return and attach translated documentation of their income, such as a foreign tax return, employer statement, etc. Convert all amounts to U.S. dollars. Please also submit a completed 2013-2014 Parent Income and Expense form.
  • CSS Noncustodial Parent Form
    The CSS Noncustodial PROFILE can be accessed at: ncprofile.collegeboard.com
    • USC requires noncustodial parents to report their income, assets and other information as part of their financial aid application process.
    • USC will determine an expected contribution for the custodial parent, the non-custodial parent, and the stepparent, as appropriate.
  • Special Circumstances
    If your family has special circumstances you would like us to consider such as job loss, salary decrease or illness, please submit a detailed letter and supporting documentation.
  • Business Owners
    Parents who are business owners must also submit a copy of their business tax documents to the Financial Aid Office. For each business, submit a copy of your K-1 statement, if applicable, and a copy of the first five pages of the corporate tax return or partnership tax return.
  • Additional Documentation
    Provide copies of tax returns or any other additional documents or information requested by the Financial Aid Office within 10 business days of the request.
Important Notes:
    • Submit any additional documents requested by the Financial Aid Office within 10 days.
    • Documents submitted to the USC Financial Aid Office become the property of the university and cannot be returned to the student or duplicated for any purpose.
©2013 University of Southern California