Billing & Student Accounts
Federal Direct Loans
Fees & Insurance
Financial Aid Application
Financial Aid Summary
Parents’ Questions
Scholarship Checks
Student Loan Disbursements and Student Accounts
Tax Information


How can I view and pay my bill online?

Where can I get an answer about a billing question?
For detailed billing information, student account FAQ and a direct e-mail link, visit the Student Financial Services website.

For questions about specific transactions, contact the office that assessed the charge. (For example, if you have a housing deposit question, contact TrojanHousing at (213) 740-2546).

The federal and state aid I’ve been awarded have not been credited to my billing account. Why?
Federal and state financial aid—including the Stafford Loan, Perkins Loan, SEOG grants, Pell Grants, Parent PLUS Loan, and Graduate/Professional Student PLUS Loan—are applied to student accounts the week before the semester begins.

I still have a balance on my student account, after all my financial aid has been applied. What should I do?
You can pay it online (via checking/saving account transfer or credit card) at

I am owed a refund. How can I get it?
Contact the Cashier’s Office about your eligibility for a refund. For more information, visit and select the “Refunds” link.

I’m a new student with a $300 credit to my student account. What does this represent?
Deposits are available for credit to your account shortly after you have registered and tuition and fees are assessed. If your deposit has not been credited to your student account by early August, please contact Admissions for assistance. For questions about commitment deposits for graduate or professional programs, please contact personnel in your academic unit.

Federal Direct Loans

How do I contact the Direct Loan Program or find additional information?
To receive a Personal Identification Number (PIN) required to sign your FAFSA or Master Promissory Note (MPN):

For Direct Loan Entrance Counseling (new borrowers only):

To access and sign your Master Promissory Note (Stafford and PLUS loans):

To determine who is servicing your Federal Direct Loans and to access your personal account information:

For more information about loan consolidation under the Federal Direct Loan Program:

For more information about your previous federal loans, including FFEL program loans:


Why am I being charged for Student Health Insurance?
Student Health Insurance is mandatory, unless you can prove that you already have comparable health insurance coverage. For more information, visit or call (213) 740-0551.

Why am I being charged for Tuition Refund Insurance?
Tuition Refund Insurance was charged to your account because you chose to accept it when you registered online for classes. If you have changed your mind, contact the Registrar’s Office before the semester deadline. For more information, click here.

I paid for the Orientation program. Why am I being charged another Orientation fee?
The orientation fee covers the costs of that program, including housing and food. The mandatory Orientation Fee, charged to every new student, is applied to Welcome Week programming at the start of the semester. For more information, contact the Office of Orientation.


How will I know if I need to submit any additional documents to the Financial Aid Office for my financial aid application?
Visit My Financial Aid & Documents.

I sent documents to the Financial Aid Office. How will I know whether you have received them?
If you submitted your documents using My Financial Aid & Documents, you will recieve an e-mail confirming that we have recieved your documents.


How can I view my financial aid summary?
Log on to My Financial Aid & Documents.

How is the expected family contribution calculated? USC awards federal and state aid based on the federal methodology, a formula that takes into consideration family income, assets, unusual expenses (triggered by serious medical problems, unemployment, etc.), the number of children, the number of children in college and the age of the older parent (how close he or she is to retirement).

USC awards institutional aid based on the institutional methodology, which adds other assets, including home equity.

Can I count on receiving the same amount of aid every year?
USC makes every attempt to offer the same amount of aid to students every year—assuming that you meet all deadlines and renewal criteria, your family circumstances remain the same and funding is available.

You must reapply each year for federal, state and institutional (USC) need-based aid. To renew merit scholarships, you must meet academic criteria. Some awards are non-renewable. Need-based loan eligibility can increase based on your academic class standing.


My financial aid summary includes loans. Will I get this money automatically?
No, you must apply for each loan. For instructions, see the Loans section of this website and click on the type of loan(s) you have been awarded.


My child gave me personal access to My Financial Aid & Documents (OASIS). Why can’t I see the document status or financial aid information?
Federal privacy regulations (FERPA) require the Financial Aid Office to protect both the student’s and the custodial parents’ financial records. Because students can allow access to any third party—including non-custodial parents—this is the only way the custodial parents’ privacy can be maintained online.

If you are the custodial parent, you may call or e-mail us, or visit in person, to be apprised of the student’s financial aid information. For more information about our privacy policy, see the current USC Catalogue.

How do I apply for a Parent PLUS Loan?
For instructions, click here.


Where should scholarship checks be mailed?
Checks should be made payable to "University of Southern California" and mailed to:

USC Financial Aid Office
Attention: Aid Coordination
700 Childs Way, JHH 325
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0914

©2013 University of Southern California