Funds may be used for tuition, fees, books, room, board or other educational expenses. TEACH is awarded to graduate students in an eligible program and enrolled throughout the academic year. An academic year for MAT students consists of three terms. TEACH Grants are available for fall and spring and summer terms. Please note any changes to your enrollment may result in an adjustment or removal of TEACH for that academic year.
Graduate students must meet the following requirements to receive a TEACH Grant:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Be enrolled in the USC Master of Arts and Teaching (MAT), single or multiple subject (POST codes 1297, 1298, 1412 or 1413) and taking coursework that will lead to a career in teaching as determined by the Rossier School of Education.
- Meet the following academic qualifications:
- Score above the 75th percentile in at least one battery of an appropriate admission exam (GRE). This will ensure your eligibility for the duration of your graduate program. OR
- Meet the following GPA requirements:
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.25 to receive payment for the first year of graduate study; AND
- Have a cumulative graduate GPA of at least 3.25 to receive payment for each subsequent year of graduate study.
Obtaining your funding
To apply for the TEACH Grant at USC, first complete the TEACH Grant online counseling (at the link above). Once your eligibility has been established, based on the guidelines above, you will be asked to complete an Agreement to Serve on the U.S. Department of Education website. Completing this agreement requires you to teach full-time for at least four years in the following circumstances:
- As a highly qualified teacher.
- At a school or educational service agency (ESA) serving low-income students.
- In a high-need field.
You must complete this requirement within eight years after leaving the program of study in which you received a TEACH Grant. If you do not meet this requirement, your TEACH Grant will be converted to a direct unsubsidized loan and you will be required to repay the funds you received.
Renewing your grant
You must enroll, complete the online TEACH Grant counseling, and Agreement to Serve each year you apply for the grant. To apply for the TEACH Grant, follow the link above and complete the TEACH Grant online counseling.