All Title IV HEA Federal Student Loans will be reported to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and will be accessible by guarantee agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorized users.
To review your financial aid history and to better understand your federal student loan indebtedness, log in to www.nslds.ed.gov You will need your name, date of birth, Social Security number and FAFSA PIN to access your confidential record.
If you have borrowed from one or more of the non-federal private financing programs, more information about those loans can be obtained from your lender or on your credit report at: www.annualcreditreport.com
Student loan borrowers are required to complete Exit Loan Counseling the semester they plan to graduate, as well as any time they take a leave of absence or drop to less than half-time status.
FEDERAL STAFFORD LOAN and GRADUATE PLUS LOAN BORROWERS:
Online Exit Counseling
Students are required to complete exit loan counseling online. Please visit www.nslds.ed.gov and click on the "Exit Counseling" button at the bottom. You will need to provide updated contact information, information on next of kin and two separate personal references. The Loan Exit Counseling Session should take about 30 minutes to complete. USC will be notified electronically when you complete the process.
In-Person Exit Counseling
Students are also required to attend an in-person exit loan counseling session on campus. These sessions will cover important information about repayment and deferment procedures, as well as offer valuable advise about managing your finances after graduation.
A schedule of sessions will be available online.
Appointments are not required, but please be on time as late arrivals will not be admitted and seating is limited. Sessions last about one hour.
Benefits to attending an in-person exit counseling:
- Receive IMMEDIATE in-person answers and guidance;
- Learn more about how to manage your money and your loans;
- Become more knowledgeable about your loan-repayment responsibilities and how to prevent default. For example, loans cannot be forgiven or cancelled in a bankruptcy.
FEDERAL perkins loan, heath professions student loan, loan for disadvantaged students or institutional loan borrowers
Students are required to complete an additional exit interview online. Please visit www.usc.edu/sfs and click on "Financial Counselor." A Loan Hold will be placed on your account until the exit interview has been completed. The exit counseling information for Federal Perkins and HPSL/LDS loans will be available online.
For additional information about:
- Federal Perkins, HPSL, LDS and institutional loans, contact the USC Student Financial Services Office at (213) 740-4077 or visit www.usc.edu/sfs.
- Federal Stafford or Graduate PLUS loans, contact your lender or visit www.nslds.ed.gov.
- An Unsubsidized GATE Loan, call American Educational Services at (800) 233-0557 or visit www.aessuccess.org.