Graduate Admission

Submitting Financial Documents

International applicants (those who are, or will be, in the United States on a non-immigrant visa) must submit documented evidence of financial support. The U.S. government requires that all international student applicants provide proof of ability to pay tuition and living expenses for themselves and their dependents (if applicable) before a formal letter of admission and an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility can be issued. For visa information or to check whether you will need an I-20/DS-2019 issued by USC, please see Obtaining a Visa.

Please submit your financial documents only after you have received your 10-digit USC ID. The USC ID must be written on all documents and included in all communications. It is recommended to send your financial documents as email attachments to in either PDF or JPG format. Please ensure your attachments are smaller than 10 MB in size. Submitting documents through a third party site (Google Docs, Dropbox, etc.) cannot be accepted under any circumstances.Alternately, you may also FAX your documents to 213-821-3725. Original financial documents are not required.

Guidelines for Submitting Financial Documents

Determining I-20/DS-2019 Expenses - The financial support must be sufficient to cover the student’s estimated expenses for one academic year (9-12 months) as determined by USC. For a list of expenses for the upcoming academic year, please see the USC I-20/DS-2019 Graduate Financial Statement Expense Figures. The amounts on the expense sheet are calculated by the Office of Financial Aid for immigration purposes only in order to demonstrate to immigration authorities that an international student will not become a public charge during their stay in the U.S. Actual tuition and living expenses may be higher or lower depending on a student’s course load and living situation. An issued I-20/DS-2019 should not be considered a bill of expense for USC.

Submitting Acceptable Documents - Financial documents must be verified by a bank and dated within the twelve month period prior to the start of the academic program. Students who will be requiring an I-20/DS-2019 for a dependent must submit additional proof of financial support to cover each dependent. For more details on what is considered an acceptable financial document, please see the Guidelines for Submitting Proof of Financial Support. Additionally, students must submit a copy of their passport as well as a copy of their dependent’s passport (if applicable).

Guidelines for Submitting Sponsorship Documents - Bank account statements that are not under the student’s name must be accompanied by a separate sponsorship letter. The letter must state the relationship between the sponsor and the student as well as include a statement whereby the sponsor agrees to provide financial support for the student. Alternately, the student may submit Form 4: Confidential Statement for Financing Studies at USC in lieu of a sponsorship letter.

Instructions for USC Scholarship Recipients - If a student is to receive funding from USC, their academic department must submit funding documentation to the Office of Graduate Admission. PhD applicants should not submit a financial statement at the time of application since most PhD students will be funded by the university. If a PhD applicant will not be receiving funding from the university but still desires to attend USC, a financial statement will be required. Their academic department must also notify the Office of Graduate Admission to verify the student’s funding status.

It is not necessary to submit a financial support statement in order to be considered for admission at USC. However, if admitted, it is in the student’s best interest to have the financial statement already on file so as to expedite the issuance of the I-20/DS-2019 during the peak application season.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

International students are not eligible for federal or university need-based financial aid nor are they eligible for application fee waivers.

International students are eligible for academic department fellowships, teaching and research assistantships, and merit-based tuition waivers. For more information, contact the department to which you are seeking admission.

Employment for Admitted International Students

On-campus jobs or off-campus jobs affiliated with USC may be undertaken with permission from the Office of International Services (OIS). The job must be funded solely with departmental funds. For more information, please contact OIS.

Paying your USC Bill

For information on paying your USC bill, please visit the Student Financial Services website.