in this section

USC Office of Articulation

A-level Exam Credit

All undergraduate students entering USC may receive a combined maximum of 32 elective units for college courses taken before high school graduation and/or examinations (e.g., A-levels, AP or IB) taken before matriculation at a two-year or four-year college. USC awards 8 elective semester units for A-level exams (H2 exams in Singapore) in most subjects. Exams in subjects not taught at USC do not transfer. No course equivalences will be granted. No credit is given for O-levels, AS-levels, or H1-level exams from Singapore. H3 exams from Singapore may earn credit if the student files an articulation petition supported by a detailed course syllabus including course meeting times, required textbooks, and a description of academic work related to the exam.

Beginning with exams taken in spring 2011, only scores of A*, A, or B will earn credit. Exams taken before spring 2011 with a score of C also earn credit. Exams with any other score do not earn credit.

General Education credit is currently granted to the following exams. (More exams may be added to this list in the future as they are reviewed.)

  Biology   GE Category III (Scientific Inquiry)
  Chemistry   GE Category III (Scientific Inquiry)
  Physics   GE Category III (Scientific Inquiry)

USC academic departments and programs may use A-level results to waive certain prerequisites (which allows a student to register for a higher level course) or to substitute for degree requirements. Click here to see the most current list of recommended waivers or substitutions for A-level exams based on information from USC academic departments. Requests for a prerequisite waiver should be directed to the USC department teaching the course. Requests for substitution of degree requirements should be directed to the student’s major (or minor) advisor.


Students who want transfer credit for A-level exam results should report them to Degree Progress as soon as practical after results are available. Order an official statement of results, not a replacement certificate, to be sent directly from the examining board to the following address:

Academic Records and Registrar
University of Southern California
Attention: Degree Progress
700 Childs Way, JHH 010
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0912

Links to the largest A-level examining boards and their instructions for ordering statements of results can be found here.

No credit can be given for provisional scores, photocopied certificates, or for official statements of results delivered by hand or from the student’s school, even with the school’s seal and an officer’s signature, or printed from the internet. After scores are received from the examining board, transfer credit will appear on the student’s Transfer Credit Report on OASIS.