in this section

Glossary of Terms and Services


Academic Record Summary - The Academic Record Summary is an academic record that provides additional information that is used primarily by the student and the student's academic advisor to aid in advisement and progress to program completion. The Academic Record Summary is not intended to be used outside the university. Effective Fall 1990, for the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) program and Summer 1991 for the International Student Program (ISP), newly admitted students' records are maintained by the University's central transcript system. Contact the USC School of Dentistry directly for academic record information prior the stated dates. The Keck School of Medicine issues transcripts for USC medical students. Contact the Keck School of Medicine directly for this academic record information.   Academic record transcripts are maintained and released in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Academic Review - The Academic Review and Retention Office located at TRO 101 can be contacted by telephone at (213) 740-7741 or by email. The Academic Review and Retention Office monitors academic status of students and authorizes registration for students with academic restrictions; processes, tracks, and records Correction of Grade (COG) forms; assists students with registration-related petitions; advises departments on procedures for initiating departmental petitions; and processes all requests for readmission from academic disqualification. See Correction of Grade, Disqualification (academic), Petitions, Probation (academic), Readmission.

Adding and Dropping Courses - See Dropping and Adding Courses.

Accreditation - USC is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. We accept transfer work and degrees from institutions accredited by one of the six regional accreditation agencies. For details, see the USC Catalogue, in "Academic Policies," under "Course Work Taken Elsewhere."

Address - The university maintains up to four addresses for students: local, permanent, billing and temporary. Most departments have access to correct/change student addresses using the process SIS.U.ADDR. Students can change their local and permanent address using OASIS. For more information regarding addresses see Change/Correction of Address.

Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations - USC grants up to 32 units of elective credit for scores of 4 or 5 on AP exams, and certain AP exams fulfill GE requirements with scores of 4 or higher. No course equivalency is earned, though departments may use exams to fulfill GE requirements. No course equivalency is earned, though departments may use exams to fulfill prerequisites or degree requirements. More information is provided on this page.

Articulation - The evaluation of transfer course work and its acceptance at USC:   Does it transfer as an elective toward a degree?; Does it fulfill any subject requirements such as GE? Is it equivalent to a USC courses? The Articulation Office evaluates undergraduate domestic courses and institutions, while admissions makes decisions regarding graduate and international course work. See "Course Work Taken Elsewhere" in the USC Catalogue, Transferring to USC, Articulation agreement, and/or Articulation petition.

Articulation Agreement - A list of courses from another institution which transfer to USC, indicating whether they transfer as electives or are equivalent to a USC course, as well as whether they fulfill general education, diversity, or the writing requirement. A "comprehensive" articulation agreement lists ALL courses at another institution which transfer (i.e., courses not on the list do not transfer). USC currently has comprehensive agreements with most California community colleges. Copies are available in Degree Progress and can be viewed and printed from the Web. A "partial" articulation agreement, also called an "articulation history," is a partial list of courses which have transferred to USC (with their GE, equivalency, etc., as appropriate). Articulation histories with several southern California universities are available from Degree Progress and on the Web. All other articulation histories may be viewed online by advisors.

Articulation Office - The Articulation Office coordinates the transfer policies of USC as described in the USC Catalogue, in the "Academic Policies" section under "Course Work Taken Elsewhere." The office evaluates undergraduate transfer work from domestic institutions, develops articulation agreements, maintains a database of transferable courses from United States institutions, reviews articulation petitions, and interprets the accreditation status of institutions. The customer service area is in the lobby of the Registration Building (REG), phone (213)740-4628, and can be contacted by e-mail. See Articulation, Articulation agreement, Articulation petition.

Articulation Petition - A request to change the way a transfer course has been evaluated by the Articulation Office. USC students can use the online petition through OASIS or complete a paper petition form that can be downloaded from the Web.

ASE Application - See Veteran Affairs (ASE Application)

Audit (V) - Students may elect to audit courses during the first three weeks of the semester, or the third week equivalent for any session that last less than 15 weeks. To audit a course, students must register for the course using Web Registration or with the Registration Department. Any audited course will be assessed at the current tuition rate. A course taken for audit (V) will not receive unit credit and will not appear on the USC transcript or grade report. Students may change the grade option to Audit on Web Registration.