in this section

Glossary of Terms and Services


Calendar (Academic) - A 2-year Academic Calendar can be found in the USC Catalogue. A more detailed version can be found in the Schedule of Classes and on the web at

Cancellation of Enrollment - There are three options available to a student who wishes to cancel or drop all enrolled classes:

  1. complete a blue Request for Change of Program application in person at the Registration Building (REG), 601 Exposition Boulevard.
  2. send an email from the student’s USC email account.
  3. send a signed fax and a copy of the student’s USC ID card to the Registration Department at (213) 821-3724 requesting to withdraw from all classes.

All requests for withdrawal must be received and processed by the end of the third week of class, or third week equivalent for sessions that are scheduled for less than 15 weeks, to be eligible for 100% refund. Before cancelling their enrollment, students should contact the department of their major.

CAPP (Committee on Academic Policies and Procedures) - This committee, appointed by the provost, is a representative group of faculty, students and administrators. The committee meets on a monthly basis and provides recommendations to the provost on matters related to academic policies and procedures. The committee also reviews or delegates the review of most general petitions.

Catalogue (University) - The USC Catalogue is the document of authority for all students. The program requirements listed in the USC Catalogue supersede any information which may be contained in any bulletin of any school or department. The university reserves the right to change its policies, rules, regulations, requirements for graduation, course offerings and any other contents of this catalogue at any time.

Catalogue (of Enrollment) - Students are subject to the degree requirements in the catalogue in effect for the term in which they were first admitted to a degree program and enrolled at USC. Students may switch to a later catalogue as long as they were enrolled in a term in which it was in effect. They must then follow all requirements in the new catalogue. They cannot mix requirements from different catalogues. Students wishing to enroll in a new minor must switch to a catalogue that includes that minor. While students continue to follow the requirements of the catalogue of enrollment, changes in regulations, policies and procedures are immediate and supersede those in any prior catalogue.

The catalogue of enrollment may be changed by submitting a Change of Information Card to Degree Progress. Advisors can change a student's catalogue of enrollment through the STARS exception process. Refer to USC Catalogue, under the heading "Academic Policies" [Undergraduate and Graduate Degree Requirements].

Change/Correction of Address - To change or correct a local address, a student may use OASIS or submit a signed and written request (by FAX or mail) or come to the REG Lobby and complete a Change of Address form. All requests must be accompanied by a valid form of identification. Fax requests should be sent to (213) 740-5986. The process typically takes two to three business days. Mail requests should be sent to:

University of Southern California
Verification Department
JHH Building 103
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0912

Change Grade Option - during the first three weeks of the term, or the week 3 equivalent for sessions that last less than 15 weeks, students may change the grade option for their registered courses on Web Registration. To change the grade option, students should follow these steps:

  1. Find the course for which the grade option change is desired in the Current Course Selections List.
  2. Click on the Update Grade Options on Commit link next to the course in question.
  3. Click on the Commit Changes button.
  4. Click on the Grade Option drop-down menu.

Class Level - There are five categories of class level: Undergraduate, Graduate, Law, Dental and Other. The calculation of undergraduate class level is based on all USC units plus any transfer units available for degree credit. The undergraduate class levels are comprised of Freshman (0-31.5 units earned); Sophomore (32-63.5 units earned); Junior (64-95.5 units earned) and Senior (96 units earned or greater). Graduate is comprised of any coursework attempted while enrolled in a Masters and/or Doctoral program. Law is comprised of any coursework attempted while enrolled in a Juris Doctor program. Other is comprised of any coursework attempted while not admitted to a degree program or coursework not available for degree credit.

Combined Programs - A combined program has an organized set of requirements from two academic units in a single degree program that combines two majors. Examples are: Linguistics/Psychology, Physics/Computer Science and Biomedical/Electrical Engineering. See Dual degrees.

Committee on Academic Policies and Procedures (CAPP) - See CAPP.

Concurrent Registration - If a course is listed in the catalogue as requiring "concurrent enrollment" in another course, it means that the two courses must be taken at the same time (in the same semester). Do not confuse concurrent enrollment with corequisites. See Corequisite.

Conduct (Student) - Regulations pertaining to the academic integrity review process are administered by the Office of Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards, a unit within the Division of Student Affairs. A complete description of the student conduct system can be found in SCampus under the heading "University Governance."

Core - See USC Core.

Corequisite - Corequisites are courses which must be taken at the same time as, or passed prior to, the designated course. The department offering the course may waive the corequisite.

Correction of Grade (COG) - A correction of grade may occur only when the initial grade assigned by the instructor was given in error. A student who believes his/her grade is incorrect must contact the instructor of the course. The Correction of Grade process is monitored by the Grade Department. If the Correction of Grade request is approved, the Grade Department assigns the corrected grade to the student's academic record. See Grade Reports, Incomplete Grade (IN); Missing Grade (MG), Grade Department.

Course Descriptions - Course descriptions for USC courses can be provided upon a student's written request. There is a $2.00 fee for each course description. Typically, course descriptions are produced within 3 to 5 business days. For more information contact the Transcript Department at (213) 740-7445.

Course Numbering - USC's 3-digit course numbers indicate the year level of the course: 000—preparatory courses (non-credit); 100 and 200: lower division primarily for freshmen and sophomores; 300 and 400: upper division primarily for juniors and seniors (graduate credit available for 400 level courses); 500, 600, and 700: graduate. See the USC Catalogue, "Classification and Numbering of Courses," under "Registration" in "Academic Policies."

Credit/No Credit Registration (CR/NC) - Certain courses have been authorized by the University Curriculum Committee to automatically be graded Credit/No Credit. This differs from the student's option to elect to take a class Pass/No Pass. A student who enrolls in course designated as Credit/No Credit in the USC Catalogue will receive either the Credit or No Credit grade mark, not a letter grade.

Cross-listing, Cross-listed Course - A course offered by one department may be cross-listed in another department as a way of drawing the attention of students in the second department to that course. Students from the second department must register in the course in the offering department. Cross-listed courses count as major courses in both departments.

Cross-Registration (USC-UCLA) - As part of an academic resource sharing program, USC graduate students have an opportunity to take a portion of their program at UCLA. This cross-registration opportunity is only available for courses or seminars not offered at USC and only to selected students. For further information on requirements, contact the Resource Sharing Coordinator in the USC Graduate School. Refer to the USC Catalogue, under the heading "Academic Policies" [Registration].

Curriculum - The courses and degrees offered by the university. These are published in the USC Catalogue. The curriculum is reviewed by the two USC committees. The committees are the UCC (undergraduate curriculum committee) and the GPSC (graduate and professional studies committee). The provost gives final approval of courses and degrees reviewed by the curriculum committees. The review process is coordinated by the Curriculum Coordination Office.