in this section

Glossary of Terms and Services


"D" Clearance - Class numbers with a "D" designation are restricted by the department offering the course. Students must contact the department to obtain "D" clearance before attempting to register for the course. Telephone numbers and departmental locations are listed in the Schedule of Classes.. The following schools or departments change all of their "R" classes to "D" on the first day of classes: ARLT, ECON, ENGL, MATH, and WRIT. The following schools or departments change all of their "R" classes to "D" on the first day of the second week of classes: EALC, HIST, MUS, and SPAN. On the first day of week 3, FA, PAS, and all Cinematic Arts courses require D clearance.

Dean's List - Any undergraduate student who earns a grade point average of 3.5 or higher on 12 units or more of graded coursework in any one semester is placed on the Dean's List for that semester. Grades of IN (Incomplete) must be removed before eligibility is determined for that semester. Academic transcripts do not carry the Dean's List notation. See Honors.

Degree Check - See Degree Summary Report.

Degree Credit - Degree credit is defined as units that may be applied toward the units required for a USC degree. See Subject Credit.

Degree Progress - The Degree Progress reception area is in the Registration Building Lobby. The department's telephone number is (213) 740-7070. Degree Progress monitors students' progress towards degree completion, posts degrees to students' academic records, issues diplomas, processes official transcripts from other institutions, processes pre-approval forms for transfer courses, and responds to questions concerning academic policy. Questions related to STARS reports, Degree Progress Summary Reports or Transfer Credit Reports should be directed to the Degree Progress Department. See STARS, Degree Navigator, Degree Progress Summary Report.

Diplomas - University diplomas are issued by the Degree Progress Department in the Office of Academic Records and Registrar. Diplomas are automatically ordered for students at the time their degrees are posted to their academic records. The university does NOT issue multiple copies. For more information about the mailing of diplomas, diploma reissues, or other frequently asked questions, review the online diploma information Website or contact Degree Progress, Registration Building Lobby (REG), (213) 740-7096.

Disabilities - USC's Office of Disability Services and Programs offers services for students with physical and learning disabilities, and assistance to departments working with these students. See "Policy on Accommodations for Students with Disabilities" in the "Academic Policies" section of the USC Catalogue.

Disputing a Grade - See Grades (Disputed)

Disqualification (Academic) - Students on academic probation who do not raise their overall GPA to 2.0 after two semesters of enrollment, exempting summer enrollment, will be academically disqualified. However, if a student earns a minimum semester GPA of 2.3 in the second probation semester but has not yet reached the overall 2.0 GPA, the student will not be disqualified and will be continued on probation for an additional semester. The student must earn a minimum 2.3 GPA each semester until his or her overall GPA is above 2.0. This process is monitored by the Academic Review and Retention Office. See Academic Review.

Dropping and Adding Courses - All adds and drops must be processed by Web registration or through the Registration Department. Failure to drop a class officially will result in the mark of UW, which is computed in the GPA as zero (0) grade points. A student may drop a course without academic penalty during the first 12 weeks of the semester, or 12th week equivalent for sessions scheduled for less than 15 weeks. If the course is dropped before the end of week 3, or week 3 equivalent for sessions scheduled less than 15 weeks, the course does not appear on the academic transcript; if the course is dropped during weeks 4 through 12, it will be recorded with a mark of W. No course may be dropped after the end of the 12th week. After registering, it is the student’s responsibility to withdraw officially from a course if he/she decides not to continue in a course. Courses may be added only during the first three weeks of the semester, or during the third week equivalency period if the session is scheduled for less than 15 weeks. For a list of important registration dates, please check the Session Codes page of the Schedule of Classes..

Dual Degrees - A dual degree is one in which coursework from two schools, or two different degree programs within the same school, has been organized into a single program. The student receives two diplomas. Refer to University Catalogue, under the heading "Academic Policies" [Undergraduate and Graduate Degree Programs].