in this section

Glossary of Terms and Services


Grade Department - The Grade Department is responsible for the collection, maintenance and distribution of all grades submitted by the academic units. This includes the processing of such things as Assignment of Final Grade for Completion of Incomplete (IN), Clarification of Missing Grade (MG), and Correction of Grade (COG) by the instructor. The department is located on main campus in John Hubbard Hall (JHH), Room 106. The Grade Department's business hours are 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. See Academic Review, IN, MG, and COG.

Grade Point Average (GPA) Calculation - Grade Point Average (GPA) is the numerical average of all graded coursework attempted within a particular level, e.g., undergraduate, graduate. The student's GPA appears on the academic transcript and on the official academic verification letter. To calculate GPA, determine total grade points by summing the numeric equivalent of the grade received, (A=4, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, etc.) times the number of graded units for each course. Divide total grade points by the total graded units (the sum of the units for each graded course). Major GPA can be found on STARS reports or by consulting with your academic advisor.

Grade Reports - The University does not mail grade reports. Students may check grades earned in the previous three semesters on OASIS.

Grades (Disputed) - The instructor's evaluation of the performance of each individual student is the final basis for assigning grades. Through orderly appeal procedures, students have protection against prejudiced or capricious academic evaluation. Details of the procedure are in SCampus.

Graduation Date - A student will be awarded the graduation date for the term in which degree requirements, including submission of supporting documents, have been met. Although course work may have been completed in a prior term, the degree will be awarded only for the term for which all academic and administrative requirements have been fulfilled. The anticipated degree date can be changed in the Degree Progress Department any time prior to the awarding of the degree.