in this section

USC Registration Department

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Web registration address?
Web registration can be accessed by logging into or by clicking the Registration link on the USC homepage.

When is the Web Registration System available?
Students can use Web Registration system to plan their schedules or to view their registered courses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, students can only drop and add classes Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.

What determines a registration appointment time?
Registration appointment times are based on units earned including transfer units. You can see how many units the Registrar’s Office has on file for you on your STARS report. If you feel that your appointment time is incorrect, contact either your advisor or the Registration Department.

How do I change my class to Pass/No Pass or Audit?
Find the course you want to change In your course bin. Click the Update Grade Option on Commit link next to the course. Click the Commit Changes button. Select the grade option you would like for your course. Click the Submit button.

If I use Web Registration will I be mailed a receipt?
A confirmation enrollment e-mail message is sent each time the student's schedule changes.

What is the difference between "D" class and "R" classes?
Before you can enroll in a "D" class, you must contact the department offering the course and obtain their permission (usually permitted on-line to the computer system). "R" classes are restricted by room size. When all the seats are filled in a class that is designated as "R", the class closes.

Do I need a Permit to Register to enroll by Web Registration?
No. Your registration appointment time and any assigned restrictions can be accessed on OASIS.

If I don't have a Permit to Register and need a registration appointment time, whom can I contact?
You can get a registration appointment assigned by calling (213) 740-8500 or emailing us at

I have been assigned a late registration fee and don't feel that it is fair. Whom can I contact?
You should contact the department of your major. Every department or school has the ability to waive late registration fees.

When I attempt to add a class by Web registration, the system tells me that I have a time conflict with another class. I have made special arrangements with one of the instructors to miss five minutes of one class. What can I do?
If you are a graduate student, you can go to the Trojan Hall 101 building and request enrollment in the two courses in person. If you are an undergraduate student, you must obtain written approval for the time conflict from the instructors in the two courses. You must print the Time Conflict Form and take it to both instructors. As soon as the instructors approve your enrollment, please take the form to the Trojan Hall 101 building. We will enroll you in the courses approved on the Time Conflict Form. You must resolve this in person with an operator at the Trojan Hall 101 building. Only a registration staff member has the ability to override this problem.

What is tuition refund insurance and what are the benefits?
Elective insurance is available which provides full coverage for tuition and fees for students who suffer serious illness or accident that makes it necessary for them to leave the university before the semester is completed. The Tuition Refund Plan is offered through a private insurance carrier, A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. Further information and applications are available from the Cashier's Office and the Registration Department. For additional information please visit the tuition refund insurance web site.

One "R" class that I really need is closed. What can I do?
The best method is to take a Change of Program application and attend the first meeting of the class. If there is space in the class, the instructor will sign the application. Then take that application to the administrative office of that particular department, where department staff will either stamp the form and refer you to the Registration Department or permit you to enroll directly on the system.

What are the rules that govern limited/non-admitted registration?
Limited status enrollment allows persons who have not applied to the university to take a limited number of courses at USC. A pre-baccalaureate limited status student may not register for more than 16 units; a post-baccalaureate student limited status student may not register for more than 12 units. Prior approval of the department offering the course is required for all limited status enrollment. If a limited status student is subsequently admitted to regular standing, no more than 16 undergraduate or the first 12 graduate units taken through limited status enrollment can be applied toward a degree.