USC Registration Department
Limited Status Enrollment
Program Mission: The limited status program is intended for individuals who wish to take a limited number of courses at USC without formally applying for admission to the university.
Individuals who do not have a bachelor’s degree may take up to 16 units. For graduate students, up to 12 units are allowed.
The estimated cost of enrollment at USC for limited status students in fall 2013 is $1,573 per unit. A 4-unit course at USC costs 4 x $1,573 (or $6,144) plus additional student fees. There is also a one-time, non-refundable $100 processing fee for new Limited Status students, due at the time of registration. Credit cards, checks, and money orders are acceptable methods of payment. Please make checks payable to the "University of Southern California." This policy does not apply to USC staff and faculty.
Academic Eligibility Policies:
- Students who have not yet completed a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for limited status enrollment if they have been denied admission to USC or if they have been academically disqualified or suspended from any community college, college or university.
- At the post-baccalaureate level, limited status enrollment is not available to students who have been denied admission to the department offering the course unless prior approval is granted by the department and the appropriate dean.
- Enrollment as a limited status student does not guarantee admission to any degree program at USC.
- A student must obtain or maintain academic eligibility in accordance with the requirements of the University and the school or department in which the student is enrolled. Academic disqualification may result in revocation of this registration, even if classes have started.
- Prior approval of the department offering the course is required for all limited status enrollment. If a limited status student is subsequently admitted to regular standing, no more than the first 16 undergraduate or the first 12 graduate units taken through limited status enrollment can be applied toward a degree. In very rare situations, individual undergraduate exceptions may be approved by the dean of the degree-conferring unit. For graduate students, the rare exception must be approved by the Vice Provost for Graduate Programs.
Limited Status Enrollment eligibility for non-immigrant visa holders:
- F-2, B-1 and B-2 status holders are not eligible for Limited Status enrollment at USC.
- F-1 status applicants who are on another institution’s I-20 are eligible for Limited Status enrollment if they will concurrently enroll at the I-20 school and USC. A letter from the international office at the I-20 school verifying enrollment will be required when submitting your Limited Status application. F-1 status applicants who are currently not maintaining immigration status/or will not be enrolled at the I-20 school are not eligible for Limited Status enrollment at USC.
- Individuals on other visa categories such as A, E, G, H, I, J, L, O, P, Q, R and TN are eligible for Limited Status enrollment if maintaining status on that visa category. A copy of the passport and I-94 card will be required when submitting the Limited Status application.
Instructions to Register as a Limited Status Student:
- Complete the Limited Status Registration Form.
- Contact the department offering the course you wish to take (Phone numbers are available on the Schedule of Classes web page that displayed the courses) and request permission to enroll.
- Submit the form and $100 processing fee to the Registration Department (REG) in person or by mail at the address below after you have received permission from the department offering the course. If you wish to mail in your form, please include a copy of your driver’s license or passport. If you wish to mail your payment, please consider using certified mail.
If you are unable to present the completed form in person, you may designate a representative to act on your behalf. Your representative must bring the completed form, a copy of your driver’s license or passport, and a written authorization letter (a brief statement designating the representative as your agent will suffice). The representative must also show photo ID.
601 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0912
Setting up Your Account and Paying Fees:
Once we process your request, we will email you confirmation of your registration. To pay your tuition bill and to activate other student services, please view the post-registration instructions.
University employees should submit the appropriate forms to the Benefits Administration Office before the first day of the semester to avoid late registration fees. Students receiving sponsorship should review the information on the Student Sponsor/Agency Billing Web site.