in this section

USC Department of Transcripts

Frequently Asked Questions

How will I know when my transcript has been mailed?
You will receive e-mail notification of the status of Web-ordered transcripts. Once you have created an account with Avow, you can logon to the Avow site and check the status of your orders. There is no tracking process for orders placed in-person or by mail. To obtain this information, please call the Transcript Department at (213) 740-7445.

What is the difference between an official transcript and an academic record summary?
The official transcript bears the university seal and signature of the Registrar. It provides only the record information recommended by the American Association of Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). The academic record summary provides additional information that the student and the student's academic advisor use to facilitate advisement and monitor progress toward program completion. The academic record summary is intended only for use within the university and by the student.

Who has access to my academic record?
Only the student and anyone he/she may authorize as his/her agent. USC officials who demonstrate a "legitimate educational interest" to the Registrar, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), may also access academic records.

There is a "hold" on my record. What can I do?
You should contact the department that placed the hold on your record, e.g., Collections, Loans, etc. If you are unsure who placed the hold on your record, contact the Transcript Department at (213) 740-7445. Current and recently enrolled students may check for holds on OASIS.

Questions or comments? Email us at