USC Office of Veteran Affairs
Immediate Call to Active Duty
Students who are called to immediate active military duty should follow the procedures below:
If the student’s deployment date is before the end of week 12 in the semester (the last day to withdraw):
- The student must present a copy of the deployment orders to Frank Chang in the Registration Department (REG) before he/she leaves USC for military duty. The Registration Department will cancel the student’s course enrollment at USC for the current semester. The cancellation of enrollment results in a reversal of tuition charges for the semester. The student’s transcript will not show marks of W (Withdrawn) for the cancelled courses.
- The student should contact his/her advisor to request a Leave of Absence. (For more information, please see the Leave of Absence Handbook, www.usc.edu/loa.)
If the student must deploy after week 12 (after the last day to withdraw):
- The student must present a copy of the deployment orders to Frank Chang in the Registration Department (REG) before he/she leaves USC for military duty. The student’s courses will not be cancelled.
- The student must make arrangements to receive marks of Incomplete (IN) with each instructor. The student should also discuss with each instructor what assignments the student must submit in order to earn a final grade in each course. A student who receives a mark of Incomplete under these circumstances may take up to four (4) semesters to complete the remaining work. If the student does not finish the work during this special four-semester period, the marks of IN will automatically convert to marks of W.
- The student should contact his/her academic advisor to request a Leave of Absence. (For more information, please see the Leave of Absence Handbook, www.usc.edu/loa.)
Students who wish to return to USC after military duty:
- The returning student should contact the Registration Department at (213) 740-8500 or firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a registration appointment time for the next semester.
- The student must contact his/her academic advisor to request a removal of the Leave of Absence hold and to discuss a class schedule for the semester.
- If a returning student has questions about VA benefits, he/she may contact Samantha Marquez, Veterans Certification Officer, in TCC 330D, (213) 740-4619, email@example.com.
Last Updated: 11/18/2014