Life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
USC provides comprehensive group life insurance, and a suite of other benefits, through Minnesota Life Insurance Company (Securian).
Life insurance protects your family financially in the event of your death. Money is generally paid income tax free to your beneficiaries, who can use the money for any purpose.
AD&D insurance pays a pre-determined amount to your beneficiaries in the event of your death in an accident (for example, a car crash). AD&D pays lesser amounts to you or your beneficiaries for various types of accidental injuries that result in the loss of limbs, speech or hearing.
In the event of an accident or death, Benefits will file a claim on your behalf once we are notified. In order to finalize a life insurance claim we need an original death certificate to send to Minnesota Life.
Our life insurance carrier, Minnesota Life, does not pay proceeds directly to minors (under age 18 in most states). We require a certified copy of court-issued letters of guardianship (or conservatorship) for the property (or estate) of the minor. Note that there are two types of guardianship: property and person. Minnesota Life requires guardianship for the property (estate).
|Coverage type||Coverage options||Additional information|
|Basic Term Life||
|Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)||
|Group Universal Life (GUL) or Variable Group Universal Life (VGUL)||1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x base compensation||
|Dependent Term Life||Spouse/RDP||Child||
Manage your life insurance benefit online
Minnesota Life provides a secure website, www.LifeBenefits.com, which you may access to enroll in and manage your life insurance benefit. Use the LifeBenefits website to:
- View additional information about your life insurance plan, including coverage amounts and premiums
- Enroll for coverage and submit Evidence of Insurability (EOI) requirements
- Designate your beneficiaries
- Change your coverage or account information
- Manage your cash accumulation account
- Use a variety of online resources to help with life insurance decisions, including the insurance needs calculator
Access the LifeBenefits website
- Visit LifeBenefits website
- User ID: Enter USC followed by your 7-digit employee ID number (can be found on your paycheck stub or eTrac)
- Password: Enter your 8-digit date of birth followed by the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (for example, if your date of birth was August 2, 1960 and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number were 1234, you would enter 080219601234 as your password)
You may enroll or make changes at any time, but you must be actively at work, and EOI may be required if enrolling after your initial eligibility period. Enroll within 30 days of hire to avoid EOI; coverage begins the first of the month after enrollment.
As an insured under the university-paid basic plan, you and your dependents have access to the following tools and resources.
- Legal servicesCeridian provides telephone access to a national network of 22,000+ accredited attorneys for consultation on simple wills, estate planning documents and other legal issues. Discounts are available for participating attorneys. Contact Ceridian at 1(866) 538-1810 or visit www.LifeWorks.com (user name: will password: preparation).
- Travel assistance servicesGlobal Rescue provides 24-hour travel assistance, emergency medical and security transport services, and pre-travel resources. Global Rescue's services are available when traveling for business or pleasure 100 or more miles away from home. Contact Global Rescue at 1(855) 516-5433 (toll free U.S. and Canada), +1(617) 426-6603 (international), or visit www.LifeBenefits.com/travel.
- Legacy planning servicesThese resources are designed to help individuals and families work through end-of-life issues when dealing with the loss of a loved one or planning for their own passing. Visit www.LegacyPlanningServices.com.
- Beneficiary financial counselingBeneficiaries who receive at least $25,000 in policy benefits may choose to use independent beneficiary counseling services from PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (PwC). Contact Benefits for assistance.
Contact Minnesota Life Customer Service at 1(800) 843-8358 or e-mail LifeBenefits@securian.com.