USC Alternative Coverageif you already have medical coverage
If you already have primary medical coverage under another health care plan, you may choose our no-cost "opt out" program, USC Alternative Coverage, instead of enrolling in a USC medical plan. Frequently, benefits-eligible employees who have medical coverage through their spouse's employer choose USC Alternative Coverage for additional vision, dental and prescription reimbursement coverage as well as additional life and accident insurance. USC Alternative Coverage also is available to spouses or registered domestic partners who both work at USCone can enroll in a university-sponsored medical plan and include dependent coverage; the other can choose USC Alternative Coverage, which includes the following free benefits:
- Reimbursement for prescription drug co-payments or for 50% of prescription costs if your medical insurance does not provide prescription drug coverage, up to $5000 per calendar year
- Vision Service Plan coverage for you and your eligible dependents
- Dental coverage for you and your dependents
- $50,000 basic term life insurance coverage for you
- $100,000 Minnesota Life Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance coverage for you and your dependents
- Minnesota Life "Europ Assistance USA" emergency travel assistance program for you and your dependents
You must show proof of your other medical coverage. Like all medical and dental plans, USC Alternative Coverage may only be selected during initial benefits enrollment, during open enrollment, or within 30 days of a qualifying life event. For more information, contact Benefits.
To obtain reimbursement under USC Alternative Coverage for prescription copays, download a reimbursement claim form, complete, attach your original prescription receipts and mail to:
P.O. Box 45018
Fresno, CA 93718-5018
You should always send HealthComp the original receipts and retain copies for your files.