Experiment No. 6
The sixth number of Experiment (fall, 2000) is entitled "Organica: A Symposium on the Non-Objective World of Nature in the Russian Avant-Garde."
Guest Editor: Alla Povelikhina
The essays published in English and Russian are the transcriptions of papers delivered at the symposium “Organica: The Non-Objective World of Nature in the Russian Avant-Garde of the 20th Century,” that took place at the Galerie Gmurzynska, Cologne, on 24 October, 1999. This international gathering coincided with the exhibition of the same name and evoked an eager response among artists, collectors, critics, historians, and museologists. Although the lively atmosphere of the symposium and of the presentation of Mikhail Matiushin's Birth of Light, Color, and Volume can never be reconstructed, editing of the original texts has been kept to a minimum. In this way, we hope that something of the energy and informality of that memorable meeting will be preserved.
- Alla Povelikhina: Introducing the Catalog and Exhibition “Organica: The Abstract World of Nature in the Russian Avant-Garde.”
- Svetlana Dzhaforova: Works by Mikhail Matiushin and his Disciples at Major Culturological Exhibitions in Europe, Japan and the United States, 1979-96.
- Charlotte Douglas: Mikhail Matiushin and Kazimir Malevich.
- Nicoletta Misler: Pavel Filonov and Mikhail Matiushin.
- Zoya Ender: The Ender Family of Artists.
- John E. Bowlt: Pavel Mansurov and Organic Culture.
- Vasilii Rakitin: Alla Povelikhina, Nikolai Khardzhiev, George Costakis, Boris Ender.
- Alexander Kostroma: Reconstructing Mikhail Matiushin’s “Birth of Light, Color and Volume.” (First Performed in 1923)
- Alla Povelikhina: Vmesto predisloviia k katalogu i vystavke “Organika: Bespredmetnyi mir prirody v russkom avangarde.”
- Svetlana Dzhafarova: Prezentatsiia petrogradskikh khudozhnikov kruga Matiushin na krupnykh kul’turologicheskikh vystavkakh v Evrope, Iaponiia i SshA, 1979-1996.
- Charlotte Douglas: Mikhail Matiushin i Kazimir Malevich.
- Nicoletta Misler: Pavel Filonov i Mikhail Matiushin.
- Zoya Ender: Sem’ia khudozhnikov Ender.
- John E. Bowlt: Pavel Mansurov i organicheskaia kul’tura.
- Vasilii Rakitin: Alla Povelikhina, Nikolai Khardzhiev, Georgii Kostakis, Boris Ender.
- Alexander Kostroma: Rekonstrukstiia spektaklia Mikhaila Matiushina “Rozhdenie sveta, tsevta, i ob”ema” 1922-23 goda.