Experiment No. 8
Vasilii Kandinsky and the Science of Art
This eighth number (fall, 2002) of Experiment is entitled Vasilii Kandinsky and the Science of Art (Kandinsky and Soviet Academic Institutions, 1917-21)
Preface: Vivian Endicott Barnett
- Natal'ia Avtonomova and Dmitrii Sarab'ianov: "Vasilii Kandinsky. Chronology, 1917-21"
- John E. Bowlt and Nicoletta Misler: “Uncharted Territory: Vasilii Kandinsky and the Soviet Union”
- Jean-Claude Marcadé: “Vasilii Kandinsky, a Russian Artist”
- Boris Sokolov: “Vasilii Kandinsky and Messianic Theater”
On the Spiritual in Art
- Jelena Hahl: "The Textual Variants of 'On the Spiritual in Art'"
- Vasilii Kandinsky: "On the Spiritual in Art" (1918-21)
Free State Art Studios, Moscow (Svomas)
- “Theses for Teaching” (1918-19)
- Pedagogical Materials (ca. 1920):
- A. “Green. Blue, and Yellow”;
- B. “The Development of the Painterly Idea in Contemporary Art”;
- C. “The Essence of Form and the Formal; Element in Painting”.
Institute of Artistic Culture, Moscow (Inkhuk)
- "Vasilii Kandinsky and the Section of Monumental Art at Inkhuk"
- "Program of the Institute of Artistic Culture" (May, 1920)
- "Questionnaire" (May, 1920)
- "The Primary Elements of Painting. Their Essence and Value
- "Brief Elucidation of a Theory of Painterly Form" (June, 1920)
- "Defining Time. A Discussion" (October, 1920)
- “Report at the First All-Russian Conference of Directors of the Subsections of the Arts” (December, 1921)
Russian Academy of Artistic Sciences, Moscow (RAKhN)
- "Vasilii Kandinsky and the Russian Academy of Artistic Sciences"
- "On a Method for Working with Synthetic Art" (March-summer, 1921)
- "Plan for the Physico-Psychological Department of the Russian Academy of Artistic Sciences" (June, 1921)
- "Work Plan for the Visual Arts Section of the Academy" (June, 1921)
- "The Primary Elements in Painting" (Theses) (September, 1921)
- "The Primary Elements in Painting" (Full text) (September, 1921)
- Nadezhda Dobychina (1916-19)
- Aleksandr Shenshin (1922)
- Petr Kogan (1922)