University of Southern California  



calendar of events

SIRGA board



useful links

SIR main page


Frequently Asked Questions

Where's the best place to live and how do I find housing?

SIR students live throughout the greater LA area: LA, Mid-Wilshire district, San Pedro, Pasadena, Silver Lake, Alhambra, Venice, Long Beach, Riverside, and North of USC campus. With a car, you are only constrained by your budget, and tolerance for traffic. Without a car, living near campus (north) may be your best bet. Often, you can find "for rent" signs by driving around your chosen neighborhood and calling the listed phone number. Good sources are the LA Times and Craigslist for apartment listings (see links below and under Useful links).

USC - Trojan housing

Westside Rentals

4 Rent in Los Angeles


The Thai Student Association has a helpful overview of some LA neighborhoods.

What about safety on and around campus?

Campus safety and security is priority for the Department of Public Safety. The on and off-campus tram service operates Monday through Friday, and “Campus Cruiser,” the student escort service, is available seven days a week, from 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM. To request an escort, on the University Park Campus, call (213) 740-4911. On the Health Sciences Campus, call (323) 442-2100.

Where do I park my car?

Visit Trojan Transportation services for information of parking, permits, trams, Campus Cruiser, and other transportation-related information. There are also four-hour parking meters on most sides of the University Park campus.

Where can I get stuff for my apartment near campus?

The USC Bookstore is a good start. There is also a Target a short drive west of campus.  Take Jefferson, turn left on La Cienega and the store is on the right (West side of street); there are also Ikea's in Burbank and Carson which require a bit of a drive.

What sort of additional financial support is available for doctoral students?

The School of International Relations provides grants for students presenting papers at academic conferences as well as other academic activities. You will receive frequent email notifying you a potential funding opportunities. The graduate student senate also provides funds for conference travel.



© USC School of International Relations Graduate Association