After rejecting their initial design, Miss Black approved a
second version of a Greene & Greene plan for a modest one-and-one-half
story, seven-room cottage to be built in a neighborhood of new
houses in the east part of town. Built in 1903, the cottage
was unusual in that it featured a side entry, allowing the living
room to extend uninterrupted across the entire front of the
house, a thoughtful solution to the limitations of the narrow
residential lot. The entry porch extended along the side of
the house and was sheltered by a pergola, a common element in
later California Craftsman bungalows. A schoolteacher at a local
elementary school, Miss Black remained a faithful client, calling
Henry Greene back in 1926 and in 1931 for minor alterations.
The house has since been moved to a new location in Pasadena.