California Institute of Technology "Dugout"
In 1923, Mr. and Mrs. Robert R. Blacker offered to fund the
design and construction of a student pavilion, “The Dugout”
for the California Institute of Technology campus. Undoubtedly,
the Blacker’s previous connections with the Greene brothers
led to the choice of Henry Greene to design the one-story single-room
building. The character of the design was in keeping with earlier
Greene & Greene structures and featured an interior space
with exposed timber trusses over a maple floor. Built-in benches
were used on the east and west lengths of the forty-by-fifty
foot room. The exterior was surrounded on three sides with an
eight-foot-wide, scored-cement walkway. It was covered on the
west and south sides with a post-and-beam shed roof. Cal Tech
students raised funds to add a fireplace, chimney, and billiard
table. The building opened in 1924 but is now demolished.