Greene & Greene Virtual Archives
Mrs. Mary E. Cole House
Pasadena, California, 1906-1907
AboutSearchResourcesMy G&GHelpCopyrightReproductionSite IndexContact Us
Basic Search View Project List

Mrs. Mary E. Cole House
Pasadena, California

Designed in 1906 for the Coles, this H-shaped house is built on exclusive Westmoreland Place in Pasadena, California, which abuts Arroyo Terrace at the South end of the block. John Cole was the President of Pasadena Milling Company, which produced flour and other wheat products. The Cole’s large, elegant bungalow style building, featured a prominent porte cochere on the front and an open porch on the second story above the first story terrace at the rear. The lower half of the chimneys and porte cochere supports are constructed with arroyo boulders, presenting both an artistic and rustic look. The interior was heavily ornamented with Rookwood tiles and brick for all the fireplaces, leaded art glass panels and handsomely finished woodwork.