Mary Reeve Darling House
The design for the Mary Reeve Darling house in 1903,
successfully united the broad gable with an appropriate
floor plan. Balance in the façade was achieved
by a central loggia on the second floor between elevated
bay windows on either end of the first floor. In addition,
the bays were perched on boulders, which served as a
counterpoint to the downward feeling of the oversized
gable. Publication of this work included illustrations
for furniture and fixture designs specifically for this
project, but it appears the furniture was never fabricated.
This indicates the first commission in which the Greenes
were concerned with designing the entire living environment.
The comfort and quiet dignity of the house are a result
of a subtle manipulation of space, elegant composition,
and simple materials. In 1924, Dr V. Ray Townsend hired
the Greenes to make repairs and alterations to this
residence and to add a garage.