The Kate A. Kelly house of 1921 reflects the popular Spanish
Revival style of the time in its formal structure and materials.
Designed by Henry Greene, it was commissioned by Earle C. Anthony
for his sister-in-law, Kate. It has little of the Greenes’
vocabulary except for the use of the bold metal straps and wedges
in the timbered truss of the high ceiling in the living room,
the Chinese terra-cotta tiles that decorate the gable vents
and in the design of a few small art-glass windows. Essentially
a one-story hillside residence, the house exhibits compositional
variety and balance in its exterior elevations and roof line
due to the position of the high-ceilinged living room a few
steps down from the main level. The plan of the house is L-shaped,
with the service wing away from the more public spaces and a
sheltered entrance court. An adjacent fountain terrace maximizes
the dramatic ocean views toward the southwest.