Greene & Greene Virtual Archives
Rudolph Schevill Studio
Berekeley, California, 1922-23
AboutSearchResourcesMy G&GHelpCopyrightReproductionSite IndexContact Us
Basic Search View Project List

Rudolph Schevill Studio
Berkeley, California

Rudolph Schevill arrived in Berkeley in 1912 to establish a Department of Romantic Language at the University. Wishing to make alterations to their home that included turning the existing living room into a study, in 1922 they commissioned Charles to enclose their south porch and build an addition to serve as the new living room. The scale and tall windows of the two-story addition made the space light and airy and gave access to sweeping views of the San Francisco Bay. The room includes a balcony supported by a massive pine beam and redwood balustrade that harkened back to the Greenes earlier use of wood. Known by the family as the “big room” its excellent acoustics made it a welcome venue for salons organized by Margaret Schevill, such as a cello recital by Pablo Casals and a poetry reading by Dylan Thomas.