Greene & Greene Virtual Archives
Mrs. Margaret B.S.C. Spinks House
AboutSearchResourcesMy G&GHelpCopyrightReproductionSite IndexContact Us
Basic Search View Project List

Mrs. Margaret B. S. Clapham Spinks House
Pasadena, California

The Spinks house is an elaboration of the rectangular, large-gabled form of the California House developed by Henry Greene in 1904-05. Characteristically, the siting of the house was dictated by the topography of the lot. Henry Greene, who designed the house while his brother was in London, recognized that by placing the house just west of the slope into the canyon to the east he could take advantage of dramatic views from the rear of the house and an equally dramatic set-back from the street. The interior is simpler than those of the elaborate houses designed for the Greenes' clients of this period. Plaster walls with cedar trim replace the exotic hardwood paneling of the more expensive houses. A skylight, one of Henry's trademark architectural elements, illuminates the upper hall and staircase. A broad porch on the rear elevation allows outdoor access through French doors in the living and dining room. Judge and Mrs. Spinks lived in the house only two years, selling in 1911 to Mrs. William F. West. Typical of many of the subsequent owners of other Greene & Greene houses, Mrs. West commissioned the brothers to design alterations so that they would be sensitively integrated with the original structure.