Greene & Greene Virtual Archives
Mrs. Adelaide M. Tichenor House
AboutSearchResourcesMy G&GHelpCopyrightReproductionSite IndexContact Us
Basic Search View Project List

Mrs. Adelaide M. Tichenor House
Long Beach, California

In 1904, Adelaide M. Tichenor, known as the “Mother of Long Beach” for her initiatives to bring culture, progress, and dignity to her city, asked the Greenes to design her an ocean front home. The design for the Tichenor house was influenced by the Japanese Imperial Gardens that were exhibited at the St. Louis World’s Fair Louisiana Purchase Exposition that Charles visited in 1904 at her insistence. The Tichenor house was designed as a two-story block with two single-story wings attached to form a U-shaped structure with a courtyard garden. Although the forms were drawn from Japanese design, the culmination of the firm’s previous work can also be seen throughout. Clinker-brick half-timbering on the lower level recalls their fascination with English architecture and their love of the California casa de rancho form is evident in the U-shaped plan. The formal entry faces the ocean at the south end of the house, far from the main street. The Greenes employed the great-room concept for the reception, living, and dining room areas although the dining area is actually on a raised platform, two steps above the rest of the room. The commission included furnishings, hardware, and lighting designs and is one of Charles Greene’s important early efforts at combining both oriental and occidental design elements. Henry added a garage addition to the east wing of the home in 1926.