About the Project
The Los Angeles College Consortium Project represents diverse populations of students. This alliance involves (in alphabetical order):
- East Los Angeles College
- Los Angeles City College
- Los Angeles Harbor College
- Los Angeles Mission College
- Los Angeles Southwest College
- Los Angeles Trade-Technical College
- Los Angeles Valley College
- Pierce College
- West Los Angeles College
The University of Southern California serves as the lead institution, with its Rossier School of Education overseeing funds awarded by the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office on Violence Against Women. Each college has a multidisciplinary team, coordinated by one or more leads responsible for grant-related activities at that site. During the academic year, the Team Leads usually meet on a monthly basis. The consortium has been a recipient of funding from the Office on Violence Against Women since 2002, and USC was selected as a site to be visited as part of the Office on Violence Against Women’s 15th anniversary celebration in March 2010.
The Los Angeles College Consortium’s accomplishments include:
- Creating brochures in multiple languages with information about sexual violence, stalking and domestic violence, with campus-specific resources;
- Creating an educational DVD available in multiple languages used as part of incoming student orientation and in-class discussions;
- Providing professional development opportunities to college adjudicators, law enforcement personnel and other campus security authorities.
During the 2008-2011 cycle, the consortium will be:
- Developing a model policy to address stalking;
- Hosting training events for peer educators from the 11 colleges;
- Providing additional professional development opportunities, with specific attention paid to the topic of stalking.