FCCCHR History

About the USC Foundation

For over one hundred years, incidents where contaminants and pollutants have flowed backwards into potable drinking water supplies have been documented. The University of Southern California became involved in cross-connection control efforts before most had ever heard of backflow.

In 1943, during World War II, a supply ship was discovered to have harbor water in its potable water tanks. An investigation revealed that this was caused by a cross-connection between the city water supply and the harbor water.

FCCCHR History

A group of concerned individuals, believing that the unbiased efforts of an educational institution would better serve the ultimate aim of protecting potable water supplies, approached the University of Southern California asking that research be done in this area.

After several conferences, this group worked out an agreement with the University; and one of their members, who wished to remain anonymous, gave the University some funds with which to establish a laboratory and employ a team of researchers. Thus, in 1944, the Trustees of the University of Southern California established the Foundation for Cross-Connection Control Research. The name has since been changed to the Foundation for Cross-Connection Control and Hydraulic Research.

FCCCHR History

The Foundation thus began drafting definitions and specifications covering cross-connection control and the assemblies required for the prevention of backflow.

The USC Foundation for Cross-Connection Control and Hydraulic Research is a division of the University of Southern California, which is consistently one of the top research universities in the nation.

USC History

Over the years, the Foundation has developed a set of standards for backflow prevention assemblies and a number of products and services designed to help water utilities, health agencies, plumbing inspectors, private contractors, engineers and the general public in their cross-connection control efforts. In the following pages you will find information on the various products, services and training courses offered by the Foundation.

Timeline

1944
University of Southern California
Board of Trustees established the
Foundation

1960
Manual of Cross-Connection Control,
Recommended Practice is published

1967
USC Foundation’s Membership
Program is established, ensuring a
financial base for continued
operations

1968
USC Foundation’s current laboratory, an old pumping station of LADWP, becomes operational

1970
USC Foundation offers the first Course for the Training of Backflow Prevention Assembly Testers

1988
Course for the Training of Cross-
Connection Control Program
Specialists is launched

2009
Manual of Cross-Connection Control,
Tenth Edition

2012
New Field Testing Backflow Preventers,
Instructional Video