Dorit S. Hochbaum
Industrial and Systems Engineering
Dr. Hochbaum received her B.Sc. degree in Mathematics from Tel Avid university, and MSC. in Mathematics from Hebrew University Jerusalem in in 1972 and 1975 respectively.
She completed her PhD degree from Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania in 1979.
Dr. Hochbaum is an honorary doctorate of the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, and a fellow of INFORMS.
She held faculty positions at Carnegie Mellon university, and then at UC Berkeley. She joined USC as Daniel Epstein chair at the Daniel J. Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering in 2010. She served in the past as the chair of the management science group at Haas school of business, as area editor for Management Science, and in various prize committees and on editorial boards.
- Discrete optimization
- Algorithms' design and complexity
- Coping with NP-hardness
- Clustering, pattern recognition, data mining and image segmentation.
- D. S. Hochbaum. "An efficient algorithm for image segmentation, Markov Random Fields and related problems". Journal of the ACM, Vol 48, No 2, July 2001 pp. 686 - 701.
- D. S. Hochbaum. "Polynomial time algorithms for ratio regions and a variant of normalized cut". IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. May 2010 32:5 889-898.
- D. S. Hochbaum. "The multi-sensor nuclear threat detection problem". In Operations Research and Cyber-Infrastructure, J. Chinneck, B. Kristjansson and M. Saltzman eds. OR/CS Interfaces, 389-399, Springer, 2009.
- D. S. Hochbaum. "Solving integer programs over monotone inequalities in three variables: A framework for half integrality and good approximations". European Journal of Operational Research 140:2 , 2002, 291-321.
- D. S. Hochbaum and A. Levin. "Methodologies for the group rankings decision". Management Science, 52: 9, 1394-1408, 2006.
- D. S. Hochbaum. "Lower and Upper Bounds for the Allocation Problem and Other Nonlinear Optimization Problems." Mathematics of Operations Research, 19:2, 390-409, May 1994.
- D. S. Hochbaum and G. Shanthikumar. "Nonlinear Separable Optimization is Not Much Harder than Linear Optimization," Journal of ACM, 37:4, 843-862, 1990.
- D. S. Hochbaum. Approximation algorithms for NP-hard problems, PWS Boston. (1997).
- D. S. Hochbaum ."The Pseudoflow algorithm: A new algorithm for the maximum flow problem". Operations Research, Vol 58(4) 992-1009, July-Aug (2008)
- D. S. Hochbaum. "Selection, Provisioning, Shared Fixed Costs, Maximum Closure, and Implications on Algorithmic Methods Today" Management Science Vol 50:6, 709-723, June 2004.
- D. S. Hochbaum and J. Naor. "Simple and Fast Algorithms for Linear and Integer Programs with Two Variables per Inequality." SIAM Journal on Computing, 23:6, 1179-1192, 1994.