|Jeffrey H. Smith
Adjunct Associate Professor
Daniel J. Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
B.S., M.S., Systems Engineering, University of Arizona; M.A., Mathematical Economics, University of Southern California; Ph.D., Business Administration, University of Southern California.
Dr. Smith has developed decision analysis methodologies and tools for the analysis of advanced space missions and technologies for NASA. He has authored over 150 technical papers spanning a wide variety of disciplines and applications. His areas of interest include Operations Research, Management Science, automation and robotics, and energy. Dr. Smith has been a principal investigator on computational approaches to the R&D Portfolio Selection problem and has developed algorithms and tools for technology evaluation, technology portfolio management, and automated resource allocation systems. He has extensive experience in decision support systems and software development applied to technology management.
At USC, Dr. Smith teaches in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department and the Price School of Policy and Planning. He has also taught in the Marshall School of Business and the Department of Mathematics; the UCLA Business and Engineering Program, California Institute of Technology, and the Claremont Graduate University for the Peter Drucker Executive Management Program.
- NASA Team Award for work on Mars technology portfolio analysis task, 2005.
- Outstanding paper for 2004, Journal of Systems Engineering.
- Cash Award for Outstanding Performance by the Telecommunications and Mission Operations Directorate, Service Preparation Subsystem Task, October 1999.
- Research and Development Portfolio Selection Problem
- Multiattribute decision analysis
- Mathematical modeling and simulation
- Automation, robotics, and human interaction for in-space operations
- In-situ resource utilization
- Smith, Jeffrey H., “NASA'S Concept for a Human Mission to a Near-Earth Asteroid: Preference Tradeoffs for the Surveyor Decision Problem,” Proceedings of the 41st Annual meeting of the Western Decision Sciences Institute, Hilton Waikoloa Village, Big Island, HI, April 3-6, 2012.
- Smith, Jeffrey H., “Optimizing Model-Based Systems, An Approach for Improving End-to-End System Performance with SysML,” JPL white paper, March 2012.
- Smith, J.H., W. Lincoln, and C. Weisbin, “Reducing the Risk and Improving Mission Success of NASA’s Human Mission to a Near-Earth Asteroid: How Many Robotic Surveyors?”, Proceedings of the AIAA SPACE 2011 Conference & Exposition, Long Beach, CA, September 27-29, 2011.
- Smith, J.H., W. Lincoln, and C. Weisbin, “NASA’s Human Mission to a Near-Earth Asteroid: Landing on a Moving Target,” Proceedings of the 40th Annual meeting of the Western Decision Sciences Institute, Portland, OR, April 5-8, 2011.
- Weisbin, C.R., J. Mrozinski, W. Lincoln, A. Elfes, K. Shelton, H. Hua, J.H. Smith, V. Adumitroaie, and R. Silberg, “Lunar Architecture and Technology Analysis Driven by Lunar Science Scenarios,” Systems Engineering Journal, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2010.
- Weisbin, C.R., P. Clark, J.H. Smith, J. Mrozinski, W. Lincoln, A. Elfes, H. Hua, V. Adumitroaie, and R. Silberg, “Formulation, Modeling, and Analysis of a Mission to the Moon’s Malapert Mountain,” 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 23-27, 2009, The Woodlands, Texas.
- Smith, Jeffrey H., Charles Weisbin, Alberto Elfes, William Lincoln, Joseph Mrozinski, Kacie Shelton, Hook Hua, and V. Adumitroaie, Human and Robot Task Allocation: An Operations Management Approach for Work-System Productivity,” Proceedings of the 38th Annual Meeting of the Western Decision Sciences Institute, Hilton Kauai Beach Resort, Island of Kauai, Hawaii, April 7-10, 2009.
- Smith, Jeffrey H., A. Elfes, H. Hua, J. Mrozinski, K. Shelton, W. Lincoln, V. Adumitroaie, and C. Weisbin, “Mobility Productivity Impacts on Selection of Lunar Exploration Architectures,” Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Huntley Lodge, Big Sky, Montana, March 7-14, 2009.
- C. Weisbin, J. Mrozinski, H. Hua, K. Shelton, J.H. Smith, A. Elfes, W. Lincoln, V. Adumitroaie, R. Silberg, “Human-Robot Lunar Exploration: Pressurized vs. Unpressurized Rovers,” 19th International Conference on Systems Engineering (ICSE) and The International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE); Las Vegas, Nevada; August 19-21, 2008.
- Weisbin, C.R., J.H. Smith, T. Van Houten, R. Moeller, W. Zimmerman, W. Smythe, W. Lincoln, A. Elfes, V. Adumitroaie, and R. Silberg, “Technical Feasibility and Relative Productivity of Alternate NASA Robotic Missions to a Lunar Dark Crater,” IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 120-128, March 2008.
- Smith, J.H., T. Van Houten, A. Elfes, and C.R. Weisbin, “Unraveling Complex Systems: NASA Robotic Missions to a Lunar Dark Crater,” Seventh International Conference on Complex Systems (ICCS2007), Boston, MA, USA, 28 October-2 November 2007.