| Stephen Lu
Industrial and Systems Engineering
Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Phone: (213) 740-9616
- 1984 Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon University
- 1982 M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon University
- 1978 B.S., Mechanical Engineering, National Taiwan University
USC Academic Positions:
David Packard Chair in Manufacturing Engineering
Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, and Industrial and Systems Engineering
Other Professional Positions:
Yangtze Distinguished Professor, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
Collaborative design, innovative product development, manufacturing systems, concurrent engineering, knowledge-based expert systems, AI-based machine learning technologies
- Jing, N. and Lu, S. C-Y., “An Argument-based Collaborative Negotiation Framework to Support Group Decisions in Engineering Design Process”, accepted by the International Journal of Artificial Intelligence (IJAI), to appear in the 2010 Spring issue.
- Jing, N. and Lu, S. C-Y., “Structure Arguments for Collaborative Negotiation to Support the Knowledge Integration in Manufacturing System”, accepted by the International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, to appear in the special issue of Semiotics-based Manufacturing System Integration, 2010
- Lu, S. C-Y., “A Theory of Synthesis Reasoning”, Accepted for publication, International Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing Systems, to appear, December 2010.
- Lu, S. C-Y., N.P. Suh., “Complexity in Design of Technical Systems,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol. 58/1, pp. 157- 160, November 2009.
- Jin, Y., Zouein, G.E., S. C-Y. Lu, “A Synthetic DNA Based Approach to Designing Adaptive Systems,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol. 58/1, pp. 153-156, November 2009.
- Lu, S. C-Y., “Rationality and Optimality in Engineering Decisions”, Accepted for publication, Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, October 2008.
- Lu, S. C-Y., N. Jing., “An Argument-based Approach to Manage Collaborative Negotiations in Software Systems Design”, Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 266-287, January 2009.
- S. C-Y. Lu and J. J. Lee, ''Technologies and devices to enhance and stimulate human inspiration during applications,'' U.S. patent pending, 1984.
- S. C-Y. Lu, P. Ge, and N. Wang, ''Methodology and algorithms for adaptive modeling and simulation of engine design,'' U.S. patent pending, 2000.
- S. C-Y. Lu, H. S. Teng, and M. M. Tseng, ''System including inductive learning arrangement for adaptive management of behavior of complex entity,'' U.S. patent no. 5,034,898, July 23, 1991.
- International Institution for Production Engineering Research
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Association of Artificial Intelligence
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Honors and Awards:
- Honorary Professor, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
- Honorary Professor, Xi'an Jiao-Tong University, Xi'an, China
- Honorary Professor, Kung-Xi University, Kung Xi, China
- Honorary Professor, Chung-Chen University, Chung Chen, China
- 2003: YangTze Distinguished Scholarship Award, the Ministry of Education, People's Republic of China
- 2003: Elected Full Member, International Academy for Production Engineering Research (CIRP)
- 2002: International Technology Contribution Award, the Shanghai Municipal City Government, Shanghai, People's Republic of China
- 1999: Special Technical Achievements Award in Engineering Design Research, the International Academy for Production Engineering Research (CIRP)
- 1995: Distinguished Civilian Service Award, U.S. Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories
- 1993: Humboldt Award for Senior U.S. Scientist, Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung, Germany
- 1992: Fulbright Scholarship (Senior Research Professor Category), The Fulbright Commission
- 1991: Elected Corresponding Member, Int. Academy for Production Engineering Research (CIRP)
- 1990: University Scholar Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1990: Senior Xerox Award for Faculty Research, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1990: Chinese Institute of Engineers, Republic of China, Certificate of Appreciation
- 1989: Award of Appreciation, Production Engineering Division, ASME
- 1989: Elected Outstanding Young Men of America
- 1988: Elected Senior Member, North American Manufacturing Research Institute (NAMRI)
- 1988: Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
- 1987: Presidential Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation (NSF)
- 1986: Award of Appreciation, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- 1985: Young Engineering Educator Award, American Society of Engineering Educators (ASEE)
- AME 410, Design Theory and Methodology
- AME 599, Integrated Product Development Process and Technology
- ISE 544, Management of Engineering Teams
Recent Professional Development Activities:
- 2000-: Chairman, CIRP Scientific Technical Committee in Design (STC/Dn)
- 2003-: Chairman, CIRP Working Group on Engineering as Collaborative Negotiation (WG/ECN)
- 1998-2000: Vice Chairman, CIRP Scientific Technical Committee in Design (STC/Dn)
- 1996-1998: Technical Secretary, the Scientific Technical Committee in Design (STC/Dn)
- 1988-2001: ASME Design Theory and Methodology Committee, The Design Engineering Division
- 1987-1989: Chairman, ASME Committee on Design for Manufacturability, The Production Engineering Division
- 1987-1989: Chairman, ASME Technical Panel on Computer-Integrated Manufacturing and Robotics, Production Engineering Division
- 1986-1987: ASME Scientific Committee on AI, The Computer Engineering Committee
- 1989-: NAMRI/SME Scientific Committee
- 1988-: Senior Member, North American Manufacturing Research Institute (NAMRI)
- 1987-1988: SME President-Charged Manufacturing Research Study Committee
- 1985-1989: Member-at-Large, ASEE New Engineering Educators Committee