Dr. Yong Chen
- Shiva Sambu, Yong Chen, and David Rosen. “Geometric Tailoring: A Design For Manufacturing Method for Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Tooling.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 126(4), pp. 571-580, July, 2004.
- Yong Chen and David Rosen. “A Reverse Glue Approach to Automated Construction of Multi-Piece Molds With Application to Rapid Tooling.” ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 3(3), pp. 219-230, September, 2003.
Return to Index
- Yong Chen, 2006, “A Mesh-based Geometric Modeling Method for General Structures.” ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Conferences, DETC2006-99513, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Sept. 10 ~ 13, 2006.
- Yong Chen, Hongqing Wang, David Rosen, and Jarek Rossignac, 2005, “Filleting and Rounding Using A Point-Based Method.” ASME Design Automation Conference, DETC2005/DAC-85408, Long Beach, California, Sept. 24 ~ 28, 2005.
- Hongqing Wang, Yong Chen, and David Rosen, 2005, “A Hybrid Geometric Modeling Method for Large Scale Conformal Cellular Structures.” ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, DETC2005/CIE-85366, Long Beach, California, Sept. 24 ~ 28, 2005.
Dr. Elaine Chew
- Volk, A., and Chew, E. (accepted). Re-Considering the Affinity between Metric and Tonal Structures in Brahms' Op.76 No.8. Computing in Musicology. Eleanor Selfridge-Fields (ed.): Volume 15, special issue on Harmonic and Rhythmic Analysis.
- Chew, E. (accepted). Thinking Out of the Grid and Inside the Spiral - Geometric Interpretations of and Comparisons with the Spiral Array Model. Computing in Musicology. Eleanor Selfridge-Fields (ed.): Volume 15, special issue on Harmonic and Rhythmic Analysis. Draft released as USC TR 03-002.
- Chuan, C.-H., and Chew, E. (accepted). Audio Key Finding: Considerations in System Design, and the Selecting and Evaluating of Solutions. EURASIP Special Issue on Music Information Retrieval Based on Signal Processing.
Return to Index
Dr. Maged Dessouky
- E. Chew (2006). Imparting knowledge and skills at the forefront of interdisciplinary research – a case study on course design at the intersection of music and engineering. 36th Annual Frontiers in Education Conference – Borders: International, Social, Cultural. San Diego, October 28-31, 2006.
- Mardirossian, A. and E. Chew (2006). Music Summarization Via Key Distributions: Analyses of Similarity Assessment Across Variations. The 6th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, October 8-12, 2006.
- Liu, J., E. Chew and A. R. J. François (2006). From Driving to Expressive Music Performance: Ensuring Tempo Smoothness. ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology, Hollywood, CA, June 14-16, 2006.
- François, A. R. J. and E. Chew (2006). An Architectural Framework for Interactive Music Systems. The 6th International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, IRCAM, Paris, June 5-7, 2006.
Return to Index
Dr. Randolph W. Hall
- “Territory Planning and Vehicle Dispatching with Driver Learning,” to appear Transportation Science (H. Zhong*, R. W. Hall, and M. M. Dessouky)
- “Optimal Slack Time for Schedule-Based Transit Operations,” to appear Transportation Science (J. Zhao*, M. M. Dessouky, and S. Bukkapatnam)
- “Performance and Design of Mobility Allowance Shuttle Transit (MAST) Services: Bounds on the Maximum Longitudinal,” to appear Transportation Science (L. Quadrifoglio*, R. W. Hall, M. M. Dessouky)
- “An Insertion Heuristic for Scheduling Mobility Allowance Shuttle Transit (MAST) Services,” to appear to Journal of Scheduling (L. Quadrifoglio* and M. M. Dessouky)
- “Genetic Algorithm Approach to the Integrated Inventory-distribution Problem,” to appear to International Journal of Production (T. Abdemaguid*, and M. M. Dessouky)
- “A Modeling Framework for Facility Location of Medical Services for Large-Scale Emergencies”, to appear in the Special Issue of IIE Transactions on Homeland Security (H. Jia*, F. Ordóñez , and M. M. Dessouky)
- “Sensitivity Analyses over the Service Area for Mobility Allowance Shuttle Transit (MAST) Services,” to appear to Springer Series: Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems (L. Quadrifoglio* and M. M. Dessouky)
Return to Index
Dr. Behrokh Khoshnevis
- “Domicile Selection and Risk Pooling for Trucking Networks,” (R.W. Hall) IIE Transactions. V. 36, pp. 299-305, 2004.
- “Network Design for a Grid Hybrid Transit Service,” M.M. Aldaihani, l. Quadrifoglio, M.M. Dessouky, and R.W. Hall, Transportation Research, V. 38A, pp. 511-530 (2004).
- “Real-Time Control of Bus Transit Systems Using ITS Technologies,” (M. Dessouky, R.Hall, L. Zhang and A. Singh) Transportation Research. V. 37A, p.p.145-164, 2003.
- “Control of Vehicle Dispatching on a Cyclic Route Serving Truck Terminals.” (R.W. Hall and V.C. Sabnani). Transportation Research, V.36A, pp. 257-276, 2002.
- Decentralized Inventory Control Policies for Equipment Management in a Many-To-Many Network," (with H. Zhong). Transportation Research, V.36A, 849-865, 2002.
- “Entrance Capacity of an Automated Highway System" (R.W. Hall, A. Nowroozi and J.Tsao) Transportation Science, V. 35, pp. 19-36, 2001.
- “Evaluation of Priority Rules for Entrance to Automated Highways,” (R.W. Hall and C. Li) V.6, 175-193, 2001.
- Khoshnevis, B. D. Hwang, K. Yao and Z. Yeh, “Mega-Scale Fabrication using Contour Crafting,” International Journal of Industrial & Systems Engineering., Vol 1, No. 3, pp 301-320, 2006
- Asiabanpour, B., Khoshnevis, B., Palmer, K., "Advancements in the Selective Inhibition Sintering Process Development", Virtual and Physical Prototyping Journal, Vol 1, No 1, Pages 43-52, 2006
- Palmer, K., Asiabanpour, B., Khoshnevis, B., "Development of a rapid prototyping system using response surface methodology", Journal of Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Accepted.
- Khoshnevis, B., “Houses of the Future”, Updating Modernism, Vol 16, 2004, pp 112-119.
- Palmer, K., Asiabanpour, B., Khoshnevis, B., “Development of a Rapid Prototyping System Using Response Surface Methodology” Journal of Quality Reliability Engineering International, accepted with minor revisions.
Return to Index
Dr. Stephen Lu
- Ershaghi, I, G. Alipour, A. Bugacov and B. Khoshnevis, “Automated Liquid Unloading in Low-Pressure Gas Wells Using Intermittent and Distributed Heating of Wellbore Fluid", Proceedings of the Gas Technology Symposium in Calgary in May 2006, accepted.
- Khoshnevis, B. and D. Hwang, “Contour Crafting – A Mega Scale Fabrication Technology”, International Congress on Manufacturing Engineering, Tehran, December 2005.
- Khoshnevis, B. M. P. Bodiford, K. H. Burks, E. Ethridge, D. Tucker, W. Kim, H. Toutanji, M.R. Fiske, “Lunar Contour Crafting – A novel technique for ISRU based habitat development,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Conference, Reno, January 2005
- Lu, S. C-Y., N. Jing., “A Negotiation Approach to Collaborative Design in Software Engineering,” theInternational Journal of Collaborative Engineering, in print to appear, 2006.
- Lu, S. C-Y., Q. Li, M. Case, and F. Grobler, “A Socio-Technical Framework for Collaborative ProductDevelopment”, Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, ASME Transactions, in printto appear, 2006.
- Cai, J., Lu, S. C-Y., Grobler, F., Case M., Jing, N., “Modeling and Managing Collaborative Processes overthe Internet”, Journal of Business Process Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 256-274, 2006.
- Lu, S. C-Y., Zhang, J., Wang, C., and Grobler, F., “Modeling Design Processes and Stakeholder Perspectivesto Support Collaborative Engineering Negotiation”, the International Journal of Computer Applications inTechnology (IJCAT), Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 2-12, 2005.
Return to Index
Dr. James E. Moore, II
- Lu, S. C-Y., N. Jing., “A Negotiation Approach to Collaborative Design in Software Engineering,” the International Journal of Collaborative Engineering, in print to appear, 2006.
- (third author, with Peter Gordon, Soojung Kim, Jiyoung Park, and Harry W. Richardson) "The Economic Impacts of a Terrorist Attack on the U.S. Commercial Aviation System," submitted to Risk Analysis, An International Journal, for inclusion in a special issue of volume 26 (2006). Presented at the 45th Annual Meetings of the Western Regional Science Association (WRSA), Santa Fe, NM, February 22-25, 2006.
- (third and principal author, with Nobuhiko Shiraki, Masanobu Shinozuka, Stephanie E. Chang, Hiroyuki Kameda, and Satoshi Tanaka) "Transportation System Risk Curves: Probabilistic Performance Scenarios for Highway Networks Subject to Earthquake Damage," forthcoming in the American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 12 (2006). Presented at the Pacific Earthquake Engineering / Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research / Mid-America Earthquake Center Tri-Center Annual Investigator’s Meeting, Las Vegas, 2003.
- (second author, with Anne Kiremidjian, Yue Yue Fan, Ozgur Yazlali, Nesrin Basoz, and Meredith Williams) "Effects of Local Site Characteristics on Seismic Risk of Transportation Network Systems," forthcoming in the Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 10, Special Issue 1 (2006). Presented as Keynote lecture 3, Developments in Seismic Damage to Networks in the USA and Europe: The PEER Highway Demonstration Project, GNDT MAE-SAFERR Conference on Seismic Risk in Urban Areas, Erice, Italy, May 26-28, 2003.
- (first author, with Richard G. Little, Sungbin Cho, and Shin Lee) "Using Regional Economic Models to Estimate the Costs of Infrastructure Failures: The Cost of a Limited Interruption in Electric Power in the Los Angeles Region," Public Works Management and Policy, 10, 3 (2006): 256-274.
- (first and principal author, with Michael McNally, Steve Mattingly, and C. Arthur McCarley) "Technical Evaluation of the Anaheim Adaptive Control Field Operational Test: Institutional and Technical Issues," forthcoming in the Journal of Transportation Planning and Technology, 28, 6 (2005): 465-482.
Return to Index
Dr. Fernando Ordonez
- Q. Pan, P. Gordon, J. E. Moore, II and H. W. Richardson) "Economic Impacts of Terrorist Attacks and Natural Disasters: Case Studies of Los Angeles and Houston," forthcoming in Geospatial Technologies and Homeland Security, edited by D. Z. Sui, Springer Verlag: New York, 2007.
- J. Park, P. Gordon, J. E. Moore, II, and H. W. Richardson, "Estimating the Macroeconomic Impacts of WMD Attacks," forthcoming in WMD Terrorism: Science and Policy Choices (Working Title), edited by Stephen M. Maurer and Christine Hartmann-Siantar, MIT Press: Cambridge, 2007.
- P. Gordon, J. E. Moore, II, H. W. Richardson, and Q. Pan, "The Economic Effects of Highway Widening: Tolled Lanes vs. General Purpose Lanes – Using an Integrated Impact Model," forthcoming in Road Congestion Pricing: Lessons from Europe and Implications for the United States, edited by Harry W. Richardson and Christine Bae, Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham and Northampton, 2007. Presented at the 44th Annual Meetings of the Western Regional Science Association (WRSA), San Diego, CA, February 23-25, 2005.
- J. Park, P. Gordon, S. Kim, Y. Kim, and H. W. Richardson, "Estimating the State-by-State Economic Impacts of Hurricane Katrina," forthcoming in Post-Katrina Analysis: Economics, Social Aspects, and Risk Assessment (Working Title), edited by H. W. Richardson, P. Gordon, and J. E. Moore, II, Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham and Northampton, 2007. Presented at the Third Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events (CREATE) Symposium: Economic and Risk Assessment of Hurricane Katrina, Los Angeles, August 18-19, 2006.
- H. W. Richardson, P. Gordon, J. E. Moore, II, J. Park and Q. Pan, "The Economic Impacts of Terrorist Attacks on the Twin Ports of Los Angeles-Long Beach," forthcoming in Real Estate, Catastrophic Risk, and Public Policy, edited by J. Quigley, University of California Press, Berkeley, 2007.
- H. W.. Richardson, P. Gordon, J. E. Moore, II, S. Kim, J. Park, and Q. Pan, "Tourism and Terrorism: The National and Interregional Economic Impacts of Attacks on Major U.S. Theme Parks," forthcoming in The Economic Costs and Consequences of Terrorist Attacks, edited by H. W. Richardson, P. Gordon, and J. E. Moore, II, Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham and Northampton (2006). Presented at the Second Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events (CREATE) Symposium on the Economic Cost and Consequences of a Terrorist Attack, Los Angeles, August 20, 2005.
- J. Park, P. Gordon, J. E. Moore, and Harry W. Richardson, "Simulating the State-by-State Effects of Terrorist Attacks on Three Major U.S. Ports: Applying NIEMO (National Interstate Economic Model)," forthcoming in The Economic Costs and Consequences of Terrorist Attacks, edited by H. W. Richardson, P. Gordon, and J. E. Moore, II, Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham and Northampton (2006). Presented at the Second Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events (CREATE) Symposium on the Economic Cost and Consequences of a Terrorist Attack, Los Angeles, August 19, 2005; and the National Center for Metropolitan Transportation Research (METRANS) National Urban Freight Conference, Long Beach, February 3, 2006.
- J. Borrero, J. E. Moore, II, S. Cho, and C. Synolakis, "Natural Disasters and California: The Regional Economic Cost of a Tsunami Wave Generated by the Palos Verdes Slide," Infrastructure risk ManagementProcesses: Natural, Accidental, and Deliberate Hazards, ASCE Council on Disaster Risk Management Monograph No. 1, May, 2005, edited by C. Taylor and E. VanMarcke (2006): 67-94. Presented at the Workshop on Acceptable Risk Processes for Natural and Manmade Hazards Affecting Lifelines, American Society of Civil Engineers Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering Sixth U.S. Conference and Workshop on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering, Long Beach, August 10-13, 2003; and the 2005 Annual ASCE Civil Engineering Conference Next Generation Infrastructure: Projects that Create the Future, Los Angeles, October 27-29, 2005.
- P. Gordon, J. E. Moore, II, H. W. Richardson, and Q. Pan, "The Costs of a Terrorist Attack on Terminal Island at the Twin Ports of Los Angeles-Long Beach," in Protecting the Nation’s Seaports: Balancing Cost and Security, edited by J. D. Haveman and H. J. Shatz. Public Policy Institute of California: San Francisco (2005): 33-56. Presented at the 4th International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering: The Role of Supply Chains in Industrial Engineering (Keynote presentation), San Francisco, November 14, 2004; and the Public Policy Institute of California Symposium on Protecting the Nation’s Seaports, San Francisco, January 21, 2005.
- “Behavioral measures and their correlation with IPM iteration counts on Semi-Definite Programming Problems,” R.M. Freund, F. Ordonez, and K.C. Toh. USC ISE Working paper #2005-02. To appear in Math Prog. B.
- “A Modeling Framework for Facility Location of Medical Services for Large-Scale Emergencies,” H. Jia, F. Ordonez, and M.M. Dessouky. USC ISE Working paper #2005-01. To appear in IIE Transactions.
- “On an Extension of Condition Number Theory to Non-Conic Convex Optimization,” by R.M. Freund and F. Ordonez. Math of OR, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 173–194, 2005.
Return to Index
Dr. Kurt Palmer
- “Increasing security through communication and policy randomization in multiagent systems,” by P. Paruchuri, M. Tambe, F. Ordonez, S. Kraus. MSDM Workshop, AAMAS-06, Hakodate, Japan, May 2006.
- “Safety in multiagent systems by Policy Randomization,” by P. Paruchuri, D. Dini, M. Tambe, F. Ordonez, S. Kraus. SASEMAS workshop, AAMAS-05, Utrecht, Netherlands, July 2005. Received best paper award at the SASEMAS workshop.
- “Intentional Randomization for Single Agents and Agent-teams,” by P. Paruchuri, D. Dini, M. Tambe, F. Ordonez, S. Kraus. GTDT workshop, IJCAI-05, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 2005.
- “A Sub-Gradient Algorithm for Maximal Data Extraction in Energy-limited Wireless Sensor Networks,” by W. Ye and F. Ordonez. Symposium on Wireless Sensor Networks, in IEEE WirelessCom 2005, Maui, June 2005.
Return to Index
Dr. Mansour Rahimi
- B. Asiabanpour, B. Khoshnevis, K. Palmer, “Advancements in the Selective Inhibition Sintering Process Development”, to appear in Virtual and Physical Prototyping
- K. Palmer, B. Asiabanpour, B. Khoshnevis, “Development of a Rapid Prototyping System Using Response Surface Methodology”, to appear in Quality and Reliability Engineering International
- K. Palmer, M. Dessouky, T. Abdelmaguid, "Impacts of Management Practices and Advanced Technologies on Demand Responsive Transit Systems", Transportation Research, Part A: Policy and Practice, vol. 38, pp. 495-509, 2004.
- B. Asibanpour, K. Palmer, B. Khoshnevis, “An Experimental Study of Surface Quality and Dimensional Accuracy for Selective Inhibition of Sintering”, Rapid Prototyping Journal, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 181-192, 2004.
- B. Khoshnevis, B. Asiabanpour, M. Mojdeh, K. Palmer, “SIS – A New SFF Method Based on Powder Sintering”, Rapid Prototyping Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 30-36, 2003.
- K. Palmer, M. Realff, "Optimization and Validation of Steady-State Flowsheet Simulation Metamodels", Trans IChemE Part A - ChERD, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 773-782, 2002.
- K. Palmer, M. Realff, "Metamodeling Approach to Optimization of Steady-State Flowsheet Simulations: Model Generation", Trans IChemE Part A - ChERD, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 760-772, 2002.
- Rahimi, M. and Vaughn-Cook, M. (2006). Information architecture for an Alzheimer’s communication and monitoring system. Gerontechnology, (accepted).
- Maya, I., Rahimi, M., Meshkati, N., Madabushi, D., Pope, K., and Shulte, M. (2005). Cultural influence on the implementation of lessons learned in project management. Engineering Management Journal, 17, 42-50.
- Rahimi, M. and Weidner, M. (2004). Decision analysis utilizing data from multiple life-cycle impact assessment methods, Part II: Model development. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 8(1-2), 93- 118.
- Rahimi, M. and Weidner, M. (2004). Decision analysis utilizing data from multiple life-cycle impact assessment methods, Part I: A theoretical basis. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 8(1-2), 93- 118.
- Dessouky, M., Rahimi, M., and Weidner, M. (2003). Jointly optimizing cost, service, and environmental performance in demand-responsive transit scheduling,” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 8; 433-465
Return to Index
Dr. Sheldon Ross
- Rahimi, M. and Placencia, G. (2005). Generalized Performance Evaluation for Haptic Force Feedback Interfaces: A Review of Tactile Sensing for Object Recognition. 1st International Conference on Virtual Reality, Las Vegas, July 27.
- Vos, R., Rahimi, M., Rigby, D., and Pourmohammadi, H. (2005). Cluster analysis technique for regional materials flows and urban sustainability. The 3rd International Conference of the International Society for Industrial Ecology, Stockholm, Sweden, June 12-15.
- Rahimi, M., Russell, J. and Placencia, G. (2004). Applying user-centered design methodology to Portable Lightweight GPS Receiver (PLGR) interface. Universal Access, Vienna, Austria.
Return to Index
Dr. F. Stan Settles
- On Increasing Failure Rate Random Variables, Journal of Applied Probability, 42, 3, 797-809, (2005)
- A Probabilistic Model for the Survivability of Cells, with I. Adler, H.S. Ahn, and R.M. Karp, Journal of Applied Probability, 42, 4, 9191-931, (2005)
- Extending Simulation Uses of Antithetic Variables: Partially Monotone Functions, Random Permutations, and Random Subsets,Mathematics of Operations Research, 62, 3, 351-356, (2005)
- A Note on Random Variables, with E. Pekoz, Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences, 18, 4, 473-484, (2004)
- Optimal Admission Control for a Single Server Loss Queue, with K. Lin, Journal of Applied Probability, 41, 2, 535-546, (2003)
Return to Index
Dr. Detlof von Winterfeldt
- Crueton, Kenneth, A. Madni, F. Settles, Teaching Net-Centric Systems Architecting, IEEE SMC Conference, Hawaii, October 11, 2005.
- Systems Engineering, Can it be Taught, Raytheon Conference, Waltham, MA April, 2005.
- Grant, F. H., T. Hartman, S. Settles, Survey of issues in Biomanufacturing Research, IIE Transactions, 2003
- “Report of the Standing Committee on the PNGV” (with others), November, 2001.
- “A Career as an IE,” Virginaia Polytechnic Institute and State University, October, 2001.
Return to Index
- von Winterfeldt, D., & O’Sullivan, T. (2006). “A Decision Analysis to Evaluate the Cost-Effectiveness of MANPADS Countermeasures,” Decision Analysis, 3, 63-75.
- Smith, J.E. and von Winterfeldt, D. (2004). Decision analysis in management science. Management Science, 50, pp. 561-574.
- von Winterfeldt, D., Eppel, T., Adams, J., Neutra, R., DelPizzo, V. (2004). Managing potential health risks from electric powerlines: A decision analysis caught in controversy. Risk Analysis, 24, pp. 1487-1502.
- Bruneau, M., Chang, S.E., Eguchi, R.T., Lee, G., O’Rourke, T.D., Reinhorn, A., Shinozuka, M., Tierney, K.,Wallace, W.A., & von Winterfeldt, D. (2003). A framework to quantitatively assess and enhance the seismic resilience of communities. Earthquake Spectra, 34, pp. 27-65.
- Dillon, R., John, R. & Winterfeldt, D. (2002). Assessment of cost uncertainties for large technology projects: A methodology and an application. Interfaces: An International Journal of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences. 32, pp.52-66.
Dr. Maria Yang
- M. C. Yang. (2005) "A study of prototypes, design activity, and design outcome." Design Studies. 26(6): 649-669.
- M. C. Yang, W. Wood and M. Cutkosky. (2005) "Design information retrieval: a thesauri-based approach for reuse of informal design information." Engineering with Computers. 21 (2): 177-192.
Return to Index
- J. G. Cham and M. C. Yang. (2005) “Does sketching skill relate to good design?” 2005 ASMEInternational Design Engineering Technical Conferences, September 24-28, 2005, Long Beach,California, USA.
- M. C. Yang. (2004) “An Examination of Prototyping, Time, and Design Outcome.” Proceedings of2004 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences, September 28 - October 2, 2004, Salt LakeCity, Utah USA.
- M. C. Yang. (2003) “Concept Generation and Sketching: Correlations with Design Outcome.”Proceedings of 2003 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences, Chicago, IL, USA,September 2-6, 2003.