There are a number of different options for participation in the NROTC program. The different options available at USC are listed below.
4-YEAR SCHOLARSHIP (NAVY OPTION)
Selected applicants for the NROTC scholarship program are awarded scholarships through a highly competitive national selection process. The recipient will be commissioned a naval officer upon graduation and is obligated to a minimum of 5 years active duty in the U.S. Naval Service. The scholarship recipient will receive full tuition and other financial benefits including class fees, a textbook stipend and a monthly stipend for subsistence. NROTC scholarships do not pay for room and board or personal items such as computers. Recipients of Tier I or Tier II scholarships must complete a USC degree in one of the USC Tier I and II approved majors – Apr 2012.
Applicants for 4 year NROTC scholarships must meet these eligibility requirements:
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must be at least 17 years of age by September 1 of the year you are starting college and less than 27 years of age on June 30 of the year in which you are eligible for graduation and commissioned status. An age waiver may be granted for prior active military service, on a month-for-month basis, computed as of 1 September of the year of enrollment in NROTC, provided you will not reach your 30th birthday by 30 June of the year in which graduation and commissioning are anticipated.
- You must be a high school graduate or possess equivalency certificate by August 1 of the year you are applying.
- You must have no moral or personal convictions which prevent the bearing of arms in defense of the United States and you must be deemed physically qualified.
- You must meet minimum SAT test scores of 530 verbal and 520 math or minimum ACT test score of 22 in both English and math.
- You are also responsible for gaining acceptance to a certified NROTC university. Acceptance does not guarantee assignment to that school, so it is recommended that you apply to at least 3 of your desired universities.
- Students that have more than 1 year of college credit are not eligible for the 4-year scholarship and should discuss other options with the professor of naval science at the university which they attended.
4-YEAR SCHOLARSHIP (MARINE OPTION)
Application eligibility for the NROTC scholarship Marine Option program are the same as Navy 4-year EXCEPT the minimum SAT test scores are 1100 composite or the minimum ACT test scores are 45 for the English and math portion.
The 2 year scholarship program covers tuition, fees, uniforms plus a textbook stipend and a monthly stipend for subsistence for a maximum of 20 academic months for the junior and senior years of college only. For application information and deadline dates contact the – USC NROTC
2-YEAR COLLEGE PROGRAM
The 2 year college program is a non-subsidized program which covers uniforms and a monthly stipend for subsistence for 20 academic months for the junior and senior years of college only. For application information and deadline, contact the – USC NROTC.
HOW TO APPLY FOR AN NROTC SCHOLARSHIP
- APPLY ON-LINE AT: www.nrotc.navy.mil
- Full tuition and fees
- Quarterly textbook stipend
- Monthly subsistence stipend during each school year
- $250 for freshmen
- $300 for sophomores
- $350 for juniors
- $400 for seniors
APPLY ON-LINE AT www.nrotc.navy.mil