About FMS - Strategic Plan
Facilities Management Services supports the University of Southern California’s wide range of leading-edge research, academic and patient care programs. We are proud to maintain the spaces that shape the Trojan experience and work hard to ensure that our living university endures for generations to come. FMS strives to cost-effectively and efficiently maintain USC’s $7.5 billion physical assets, located across several campuses, with a focus on sustainability.
This 2012 – 2015 strategic plan involved an analysis of industry trends and FMS customer feedback. The entire Facilities Management team and other important stakeholders engaged in assessing FMS achievements, challenges and aspirations. We renewed our mission and strategic goals in alignment with USC‘s academic initiatives and the transformative leadership of President C.L. Max. Nikias. Our plan embodies a collective understanding of where we are heading, how to get there and how to measure our level of success once we arrive.
At FMS, strategic planning is a continual process, in which the balance between concrete plans, flexible implementation and consistent monitoring give us the targeted flexibility needed to operate efficiently as responsible stewards of the University’s resources and our customer’s trust. Our approach to continuous improvement in quality service delivery is calibrated against the Malcolm Baldridge Criteria for Excellence: leadership development, strategic planning, stakeholder and market focus, workforce focus, measurement and analysis, process management and result-orientation.
FMS values Integrity and Accountability, Quality, Transparency, Dedication, Collaboration and Innovation. We are mindful that inspired stewardship comes from inspired staff, and we are committed to providing the workplace climate to support the professional excellence and well-being of every member of the FMS team.
The Facilities Management Services team is confident in our capacity to meet the projected and unpredictable challenges along our great journey to support USC’s audacious mission.
FMS Strategic Goals and Objectives
Goal #1 – Preservation of University Assets
Provide leadership in the immediate management and long-term preservation of USC’s physical assets and resources.
- Optimize the total cost of ownership of university physical assets.
- Optimize USC’s building systems to support teaching, research and patient care.
- Maximize sustainability by ensuring USC’s facilities support the university’s mission while mitigating negative environmental impact.
- Effectively manage regulatory compliance by ensuring all FMS procedures, as well as FMS and vendor practices, are consistent with all related codes and regulations.
- Maintain effective business continuity and crisis management plans that can be implemented by appropriate staff in a crisis.
Goal #2 – Quality Customer Service
Promptly and cost-effectively complete all service delivery with the highest quality of workmanship and to the satisfaction of our customers. Consistently and effectively communicate with our customers.
- Improve overall customer service ratings (according to customer satisfaction feedback) from a 3.9 to 4.5. (18 action items comprise this objective)
- Improve all customer satisfaction scores related to effective communication.
- Leverage FAMIS for optimal efficiency.
Goal #3 – Employee Effectiveness and Satisfaction
Recruit and retain the highest quality talent. Ensure that all employees have the resources needed to perform their jobs safely and efficiently. Maintain an environment that is inclusive of diversity and conducive to staff engagement, a sense of ownership, high performance and professional satisfaction.
- Continue to attract a talented and diverse workforce.
- Develop highly qualified staff for key positions.
- Serve as an exemplary employer for staff at all locations.
- Improve accountability of FMS leadership and employees by ensuring all staff ethically, cost-effectively and efficiently use university resources, while maintaining the highest quality standards.
- Improve internal customer service focus.
Goal #4 –Partnership
Foster respectful, productive and ethical work relationships with all customers, throughout all levels of FMS and with all other USC stakeholders.
- Continue to improve the effectiveness and transparency of external communication.
- Continue to improve the effectiveness and transparency of internal communication.
- Partner with USC’s central administration to improve FMS’ capacity to recruit, manage, promote and compensate staff more consistently with FMS needs.
- Partner with USC senior leaders to incorporate a comprehensive capital renewal plan into USC’s strategic planning process.
- Collaborate with other USC partners for economies of scale, research funding and other mutually beneficial endeavors.
Goal #5 – Innovation
Leverage new ideas and technology to solve problems and accomplish our mission.
- Create and sustain an organizational culture that encourages and supports innovation.
- Optimize the use of existing and appropriate new technology.
Goal #6 – Integrated and Unified Organization
Operate FMS as a single, integrated and unified organization that maximizes resources, talent and technology to provide high quality services.
- Reevaluate Operations realignment and integration under Phase 1 of Integrated and Unified Organization goal from the 2008 – 2011 strategic plan, and adjust where necessary.
- Complete Phase 2 of Integrated and Unified Organization-- Energy and Engineering alignment.