The Health Sciences Libraries (HSL), composed of the Norris Medical Library and the Wilson Dental Library, provide information support for USC Health Sciences faculty, students, and staff. HSL services are designed to anticipate and be responsive to the individual's information needs for teaching, learning, research and healthcare. Additionally, the HSL serves the health science information needs of the USC University Park Campus community and provides limited access to our resources and services to the general healthcare community and the public.
The Health Sciences Libraries will:
- Deliver the highest quality information when, where, and in the form needed.
- Contribute to the development of knowledge within the academic community.
- Select resources in direct support of USC health sciences goals, and organize and disseminate them for efficient use and easy navigation.
- Provide education to ensure effective use of information and information-gathering methodologies for lifelong learning.
- Collaborate with USC educators, researchers and healthcare providers in planning and executing the information components of programs conducted by those groups.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of information technology and advances in health sciences informatics in order to improve the distribution of information.
- Foster the use of USC resources by alerting users to new products and actively promoting the full range of library services.
- Encourage interaction with HSL clientele to determine priorities and evaluate programs.
- Contribute to the scholarship of health sciences librarianship and informatics, and participate in University, professional and community activities.
- Commitment to responsive and outstanding customer service.
- Provide and maintain a collection of high quality, relevant and state-of the-art resources.
- Strive to meet the individual information needs of each of our users.
- Develop and provide accurate information systems.
Positive Work Environment
- Foster a productive environment in which each person supports the values and goals of the organization.
- Promote collegiality and encourage all staff members to share ideas and insights in order to enhance the collective functioning of the library.
- Demonstrate respect and courtesy in our interactions with our users and colleagues.
- Maintain an environment of open communication.
- Anticipate and respond to rapidly changing information and technology environments.
- Support, participate in, and exploit emerging innovations in scholarly communication.
- Develop new services and modify our physical environment to better serve the changing needs of our constituency.
- Build relationships with faculty, researchers and clinical staff in the Health Sciences schools and affiliated hospitals to better serve their educational, research and clinical needs.
- Partner with faculty members to promote learner-centered education and encourage a commitment to lifelong learning.
- Collaborate with USC Libraries and affiliated hospital libraries to maximize the provision and sharing of resources.
- Share ideas and expertise with other medical library professionals through participation in local and national organizations.
- Uphold and advocate professional standards and ethics.
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of our staff and users.
- Encourage professional development of staff through participation in local and national professional organizations.
- Support lifelong learning and information literacy by instructing and assisting students, faculty and staff in identifying, accessing and using authoritative information resources.
- Promote learner-centered education by focusing on the changing needs of students and providing seamless access to information when, where, and in the format desired.
- Develop and deliver instructional content that supports and complements the curricula of the Health Sciences schools at USC.
- Educate students, faculty and staff in individualized sessions, in groups, and through the use of remote technology.
- Promote awareness of, and adherence to, intellectual property rights.
- Support the research and scholarly endeavors of the USC Schools of Medicine, Pharmacy and Dentistry.
- Assist researchers in keeping abreast of the latest developments in their fields.
- Provide options for electronic delivery of targeted information.
- Support basic and translational research by providing individual and group instruction in the use of bioinformatics and data management tools for biomedical researchers.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration across academic units with shared research needs and interests.
- Support the Keck School of Medicine’s objective of becoming a top tier institution by providing access to a dynamic collection of quality resources that is aligned with users’ needs, and supports established and emerging academic areas.
- Anticipate and respond to information needs of researchers in existing and planned research units, e.g., the General Clinical Research Center, the Neurogenetic Institute, the Center for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, the Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, the Broad Institute for Integrative Biology and Stem Cell Research, the Heart and Transplantation Biology Institute, and the Biosciences Research Center.
- Support the Health Sciences schools in their goal of contributing knowledge and breakthroughs in the diagnosis, treatment, cure, rehabilitation, and prevention of disease.
- Provide accurate, relevant and up-to-date information to support and enhance patient care.
- Provide effective and efficient information resources, including evidence-based and mobile device content tools, to the practicing healthcare provider at the point of care.
Collection Maintenance and Development
- Evaluate, collect and manage quality resources relevant to the educational, research and clinical needs of our users.
- Provide seamless electronic access to information at the time and place of need.
- Acquire information resources distributed in new and emerging formats.
- Contribute health sciences content to the University’s digital archive.
- Make individual and collaborative efforts to ensure the preservation and continuing availability of the scientific record.
Library as Place
- Provide and maintain a safe multifunctional environment conducive to study, research and learning, and supportive of intellectual collaboration and social interaction.
- Provide access to technology that enhances individual and group scholarly activities.
- Continue modifications of existing library facilities to meet the evolving needs of library users.
- Recruit, retain and develop high quality staff.
- Establish and maintain an organizational climate that supports growth of all staff members and reflects the values of the organization.
- Maintain a culture and work environment that is positive, supportive and stimulating.
- Encourage and promote professional development and contributions including presentations, publications, research and other scholarly activities.
- Promote professional collaboration throughout the Health Sciences schools and the University community at large.