Reconfiguring Your Exchange Email Account on Outlook 2010
To reconfigure your Exchange email account, you will need to first remove the account settings that contain an "@usc.edu" email address and replace them with settings that contain your school or departmental email address. This page provides instructions on how to complete these tasks in Outlook 2010.
Deleting Your Exchange Account Settings in Outlook 2010
- Open Outlook.
- Click the File menu.
- From the File menu, click Account Settings.
- Select Account Settings from the pull-down menu.
- In the Account Settings window, highlight your Exchange email account.
- Click Remove.
- When the pop-up message asks if you are sure you want to remove the account, click Yes.
- Click Close to exit the Account Settings window.
- Exit Outlook.
Note: If you attempt to add the account back while Outlook is running, you will receive the following error message: “You cannot add a Microsoft Exchange account to this profile while Outlook is running. Exit Outlook and use the Mail icon in the Control Panel to add a Microsoft Exchange account.”
Recreating Your Exchange Account Settings in Outlook 2010
- Click the Start button.
- In Windows XP and Windows 7, choose Control Panel. In Windows Vista, choose Settings and then Control Panel.
- Click the Mail icon. You may need to switch to Icon View (Windows 7) or Classic View (Windows XP and Vista) to see this icon.
- Click Email Accounts.
- On the Account Settings screen, click New.
- On the Add New E-mail Account screen, fill in your information:
- In the Your Name field, enter your name as you want it to appear on your emails.
- In the E-mail Address field, enter your email address as email@example.com, where “unit” is the name of your school or department. (For example, an account holder at the School of Cinematic Arts would enter his or her email address as firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- In the Password field, enter the password for you email address. Re-enter the password in the Retype Password field.
- Click Next.
- Wait for Outlook to find your server. This could take a few minutes.
- Click Finish once Outlook has completed configuring your Exchange account.
- Click OK to close the Mail Delivery Location pop-up window.
- Click Close twice to exit the account creation process.
- Open Outlook as normal.
Note: The next time Outlook is opened, the program may take some time to sync your mail folders.
For additional assistance with your email settings, including contacts who can help you determine your school's or department’s email server name, see the Local IT Support for Schools and Departments list. You may also call the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or send an email to email@example.com to receive additional assistance.
September 18, 2012