Setting Up Entourage 2008 for USC Email
This document will help you set up Microsoft Entourage on Mac OS X for use with your email account on USC's email server, email.usc.edu.
Email Systems at USC
There are several email systems currently in use at USC. To ensure you are accessing the correct information for your email system, see our Email Overview page for complete descriptions of and documentation links to these email systems. You may also click the links below to directly access documentation on USC’s other email systems.
Setting up a New Account
If you are using Microsoft Entourage for the first time, follow these steps to create an account:
- Launch Entourage.
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- In the Accounts window, click the New button and select Mail
- In the New Account window, select IMAP for the Account Type and click OK.
- In the Edit Account window, enter the following information:
- In the Account name field, enter a name you can recognize (e.g., USC email).
- In the Name field, enter your name, as you wish for it to appear on outgoing messages.
- In the Email address field, enter your USC email address. Your email address should be in the format: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Account ID field, enter your login name. This should be the same as your email address, without the @usc.edu suffix. For example, if your email address is email@example.com, your username is ttrojan.
- In the IMAP server, enter email.usc.edu
- You may save your password by entering it in the Password field and selecting the check box marked Save password.
- In the SMTP server field, enter email.usc.edu
- To configure SSL authentication, click the Click here for advanced sending options button. The Advanced SMTP window will appear.
- Select the SMTP service requires secure connection (SSL) box.
- Select the Override default SMTP port box and type 587 in the field next to it.
- Select the SMTP server requires authentication box.
- Select the Use same settings as receiving mail server button.
- To close the window, click Close box in the upper left-hand corner of the Advanced SMTP Settings window.
- Click OK and close the Accounts window.
- Your account in Entourage is now configured and ready to be used.
Note: It is recommended that you do not save your password if multiple people have access to your computer.
Note: If your Internet Service Provider is not USC, or you are connecting through USC Wireless, you will need to configure the SMTP server to authenticate via SSL. Instructions to do so are listed below.
Retrieving Existing Mail Folders
When you check your email for the first time, you may notice that some of your mail folders are not listed. If this is the case, you will need to subscribe to the folders you wish to see listed.
- Under the Folders column on the left-hand side of the Entourage window, right-click your account. From the menu that appears, select Receive Complete Folder List. All folders on the server will be listed on the right-hand side.
- On the right-hand side, select the folders you want to subscribe to and then click the Subscribe button in the toolbar.
Entourage offers a rudimentary help system that can be accessed by selecting Entourage Help from the Help menu.
September 30, 2013