Setting Up Outlook 2003 for USC Email
This document will help you set up Outlook for use with your email account on email.usc.edu.
Creating a New Account
If you are running Outlook for the first time, Outlook will launch the New Account wizard. The steps below assume that you are not running your Outlook program for the first time. If you are, you can use the information provided below to work with the wizard.
To create a new email account, perform the following steps:
- In Outlook, select Email Accounts from the Tools menu.
- In the Email Accounts window, select Add a new e-mail account and click Next.
- In the Server Type window, select IMAP and press Next.
- The Internet E-mail Settings (IMAP) window will open. In the Your Name text box, enter your name as you want it to appear in outgoing messages (for example, Tommy Trojan).
- In the Email Address box, enter your USC email address (for example, email@example.com). Outlook will automatically fill in a value in the User Name box, which you might need to adjust.
- In the Incoming mail server box, enter email.usc.edu.
- The value in the Outgoing e-mail server box will vary, depending on your current connection. If you are on the USC network (i.e., connecting through USCNet, ResNet, or USC Wireless), enter email.usc.edu. If you are using another Internet Service Provider (ISP) for your Internet connection, enter the name of your ISP's SMTP server.
- Click the More Settings button, followed by the Advanced tab. Place a check in the IMAP box labeled This server requires a secure connection (SSL) and set the port to 993 in the Incoming Server (IMAP) field.
- In the Outgoing Server (SMTP) field, set the port to 465. Place a check in the IMAP box labeled This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
- Click the Outgoing Server tab. Place a check in the box labeled My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Select the option Use same settings as my incoming e-mail server, then click OK.
- Click the Next button, then Finish to close the Email Accounts window.
Subscribing to IMAP Folders
If you have stored email in IMAP folders other than your Inbox, you may need to subscribe to them in order for Outlook to display them.
- From the Outlook Tools menu, select IMAP Folders.
- Click Query to display a list of the IMAP folders available in your email account.
- The IMAP folders to which you are currently subscribed will have a small folder-envelope icon next to them. To subscribe to a folder, highlight the name on the list and click Subscribe. To unsubscribe from an IMAP folder, click Unsubscribe.
Click OK to save your subscription changes and close the IMAP Folders window.
Creating New IMAP Folders
To create a new IMAP folder:
- From the Outlook File menu, select Folder and then New Folder.
- In the Create New Folder window, enter a name for the new folder, and specify the location of the new folder.
Note: IMAP folders display alphabetically under the account they belong to. Creating a folder under Personal Folders will create a local folder (e.g., stored on your machine, not on the email system).