Setting Up Outlook 2007 for USC Email
This document will help you set up Outlook 2007 for use with your email account on email.usc.edu.
Email Systems at USC
There are several email systems currently in use at USC. To ensure you are accessing the correct information for your email system, see our Email Overview page for complete descriptions of and documentation links to these email systems. You may also click the links below to directly access documentation on USC’s other email systems.
Creating a New Account
If you are running Outlook 2007 for the first time, it will launch the New Account wizard. The steps below assume that you are not running your Outlook program for the first time. If you are, you can use the information provided below to work with the wizard.
To create a new email account, perform the following steps:
- In Outlook, select Account Settings from the Tools menu.
- In the Accounts Settings window, select New.... and click Next.
- In the next window, fill in the following information as shown in the picture.
- In the Your Name text box, enter your name as you want it to appear in outgoing messages (for example, Tommy Trojan).
- In the Email Address box, enter your USC email address (for example, email@example.com). Outlook will automatically fill in a value in the User Name box, which you might need to adjust.
- In the Account Type window, select IMAP and click Next.
- In the Incoming mail server box, enter email.usc.edu.
- The value in the Outgoing e-mail server box will vary, depending on your current connection. If you are on the USC network (i.e., connecting through USCNet, ResNet, USC dialup, or USC Wireless), enter email.usc.edu. If you are using another Internet Service Provider (ISP) for your Internet connection, enter the name of your ISP's SMTP server.
- Click the More Settings button, where you may enter a name for your account under the General tab.
- In the Outgoing Server tab, check the box that says My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and make sure the option Use the same settings as my incoming mail server is selected.
- In the Advanced tab, make sure you select SSL from the drop-down box for the Incoming server and TLS for the Outgoing server. Also make sure the server port number for Incoming Server(IMAP)is set to 993 and the server port for Outgoing Server(SMTP) is set to 587.
- Click Ok
- Click the Next button, then Finish to close the Email Accounts window.
September 30, 2013