Setting Up Outlook 2010 for USC Email
This document will help you set up Outlook 2010 for use with your email account on email.usc.edu.
Creating a New Account
If you are running Outlook 2010 for the first time, Outlook will launch the New Account wizard. The steps below assume that you are not running your Outlook program for the first time. If you are, you can use the information provided below to work with the wizard.
To create a new email account, perform the following steps:
- In Outlook, click the Add Account button from the File menu.
- In the Add New Account window, select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.
- In the next window, choose Internet E-mail and click Next.
- On the Internet E-mail Settings screen, in the Your Name text box, enter your name as you want it to appear in outgoing messages (for example, Tommy Trojan).
- In the Email Address box, enter your USC email address (for example, email@example.com). Outlook will automatically fill in a value in the User Name box, which you might need to adjust.
- In the Account Type window, select IMAP and click Next.
- In the Incoming mail server box, enter email.usc.edu.
- The value in the Outgoing e-mail server box will vary, depending on your current connection. If you are on the USC network (i.e., connecting through USCNet, ResNet, USC dialup, or USC Wireless), enter email.usc.edu. If you are using another Internet Service Provider (ISP) for your Internet connection, enter the name of your ISP's SMTP server.
- Click the More Settings button, where you may enter a name for your account under the General tab.
- In the Outgoing Server tab, check the box that says My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and make sure the option Use the same settings as my incoming mail server is selected.
- In the Advanced tab, make sure you select SSL from the drop-down box for the Incoming server and TLS for the Outgoing server. Also make sure the server port number for Incoming Server(IMAP)is set to 993 and the server port for Outgoing Server(SMTP) is set to 587.
- Click Ok
- Click the Next button, then Finish to close the Email Accounts window.