Saving Email to Personal Folders with Outlook 2003
This document outlines how to move copies of your email from your email.usc.edu account to your Outlook Personal Folders. This is useful for managing your email quota on email.usc.edu or for saving copies of your email beyond the retention period allowed by university policy.
Creating Personal Folders
To save copies of email from your Inbox (or other IMAP folders), you need to first create a personal, or local, folder on your computer into which you will move them.
You can easily distinguish your IMAP folders from your local ones by looking at the folder tree in Outlook. The folders underneath email.usc.edu are the IMAP folders, stored on the email.usc.edu server. The folders under Personal Folders are local ones. You can expand either list of folders by clicking on the plus sign next to that section.To create personal folders in Outlook, perform the following steps:
- From Outlook, go to the File menu, select New and then Folder.
The following window will appear.
- Select Personal Folders, and under Name, type the name of the Personal Folder you wish to create (for example, Saved Messages). Under Folder contains, select Mail and Post Items if it is not selected already.
- You should now see the folder that you created under Personal Folders. The screenshot below highlights the newly created Saved Messages folder.
You can repeat the previous steps to create as many local folders as you need.
Moving Messages into Personal Folders
- To move a message from an IMAP folder into a personal folder, select the message and either drag it to the appropriate local folder or go to the Edit menu and select Move to Folder. Select the folder to which you would like to move the message.
- To move the entire contents of a folder, select the IMAP folder you want to move and then select any message within the folder. Go to the Edit menu and choose Select All . You can now drag all the messages to the appropriate folder or use the Move to Folder menu option.
If you have questions regarding these settings, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or email email@example.com.