Using USC email Address Lookup with Outlook 2003
This document contains directions on how to configure Outlook to use USC's LDAP Email lookup server, gds.usc.edu.
Note: To function properly with LDAP directories, Outlook 2002 must be updated to Service Pack 1 (SP-1) or greater. Service Packs for Microsoft Office can be obtained at http://office.microsoft.com.
Setting Up a New Directory Service
- From the Tools menu, select Email Accounts.
- Under Directory, select Add a new directory or address book and click Next.
- Select the first option, Internet Directory Service (LDAP) , and click Next.
- For Server Name, enter gds.usc.edu and click More Settings.
- Click the Search tab.
- For Search base: enter dc=usc,dc=edu and click OK .
- Click Finish to complete the Email Accounts wizard.
You will now need to restart Outlook for the new directory service to be available.
Adding Users to Contacts from GDS
Users names and addresses can be added to the Contacts list within Outlook, from the Directory server.
- In the New Contact window, click the Address Book icon or select Address Book from the Tools menu.
- Select gds.usc.edu from the Show Names, and click Advanced then Find.
- Enter your search criteria and click OK .
- Highlight the desired matching result, and click OK to insert the information into the New Contact window.
- Make changes to the other contact fields as necessary, and click Save and Close .
- By default, Outlook will not insert the name from LDAP into the Full Name field. This must be done manually.
Adding Users to an Email Message from GDS
Email addresses can also be directly added to an email message from the Directory server, without having to add them to an address book or Contacts list first.
- In the New Message composition window, click any recipient header (To:, Cc:, etc.).
- To search for users, select gds.usc.edu from the Show Names listing, and click Find.
- In the Find window, enter your search criteria in Name or email and click OK.
- Resulting matches, if any, can be added to the appropriate message recipient field by highlighting the match and clicking one of the recipient header buttons (To: ->, Cc: ->, Bcc: ->), as necessary.
Outlook has online help guides to assist you with address book creation and other aspects of reading email. To get additional help, select Microsoft Outlook Help from the Help menu.
If you have questions about these settings, please contact the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or email email@example.com.
February 03, 2011