Using USC Email Lookup with Outlook 2007
This document contains directions on how to configure Outlook 2007 to use USC's LDAP email lookup server, gds.usc.edu.
Setting Up a New Directory Service
- From the Tools menu, select Account Settings.
- Select the Address Book tab and click New.
- Select the first option, Internet Directory Service (LDAP), and click Next.
- For Server Name, enter gds.usc.edu and click More Settings.
- Click the Search tab.
- For Search base: enter dc=usc, dc=edu and click OK.
- Click Finish to complete the Email Accounts wizard.
You will now need to restart Outlook 2007 for the new directory service to be available.
Adding Users to Contacts from GDS
Users names and addresses can be added to the Contacts list within Outlook 2007, from the Directory server.
- In the New Contact window, click the Address Book icon or select Address Book from the Tools menu.
- Select gds.usc.edu from the Show Names from the listing, and click Find.
- Enter your search criteria and click Go.
- Highlight the desired matching result, and click OK to insert the information into the New Contact window.
- Make changes to the other contact fields as necessary, and click Save and Close.
- By default, Outlook will not insert the name from GDS into the Full Name field. This must be done manually.
Adding Users to an Email Message from GDS
Email addresses can also be directly added to an email message from the directory server, without having to add them to an address book or contacts list first.
- In the New Message composition window, click any recipient header (To:, Cc:, etc.).
- To search for users, select gds.usc.edu from the Show Names listing, and click Find.
- In the Find window, enter your search criteria in Name or email and click Go.
- Resulting matches, if any, can be added to the appropriate message recipient field by highlighting the match and clicking one of the recipient header buttons (To: ->, Cc: ->, Bcc: ->), as necessary.
Outlook 2007 has online help guides to assist you with address book creation and other aspects of reading email. To get additional help, select Microsoft Office Outlook Help from the Help menu.
For additional help, please contact the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or email email@example.com.