Using USC Email Lookup with Outlook 2011 for Mac
This document contains directions on how to configure Outlook 2011 for Mac to use USC's LDAP email lookup server, gds.usc.edu.
Setting Up a New Directory Service
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- In the bottom left-hand corner of the Accounts screen, click the + pull-down menu and choose Directory Service....
- For LDAP Server, enter gds.usc.edu.
- Check Override default port and enter 389 in the port field next to the LDAP server field
- Uncheck the box next to Use SSL to connect (recommend).
- Click Add Account.
- On the Directory Service Account screen, enter USC Address Lookup in the Account Description field.
- Click the Advanced button.
- On the LDAP search options screen, in the Search Base field, enter dc=usc, dc=edu.
- Click OK.
- Close the Accounts window.
You will now need to restart Outlook 2011 for Mac for the new directory service to be available.
Adding Users to Contacts from GDS
Users names and addresses can be added to the Contacts list within Outlook 2011 for Mac, from the directory server.
- On the Home screen, select Contacts from the lower left-hand corner to launch the Contacts screen.
- Click the Contacts Search icon to bring up a contacts search.
- Select USC Address Lookupfrom the second pull-down menu on the screen.
- Enter your search criteria in the search field and hit Return.
- Highlight the desired matching result and right-click it to bring up the Contacts menu.
- Choose Add To My Contacts to add the entry to your personal address book.
Adding Users to an Email Message from GDS
Email addresses can also be directly added to an email message from the directory server, without having to add them to an address book or contacts list first.
- In the New Message composition window, click any recipient header (To:, Cc:, etc.).
- To search for users, click the Address Book icon to the right of the field./li>
From the pull-down menu, select USC Address Lookup and enter your search criteria in the search field.
- Resulting matches, if any, can be added to the appropriate message recipient field by clicking one of the recipient header buttons (To: ->, Cc: ->, Bcc: ->), as necessary.
Outlook 2011 for Mac has online help guides to assist you with address book creation and other aspects of reading email. To get additional help, select Microsoft Office Outlook Help from the Help menu.
For additional help, please contact the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.