Saving Email to Local Folders with Outlook Express 5/6.x for Windows
This document will show you how to move email stored on email.usc.edu using Outlook Express 5/6.x for Windows.
Note: Before moving your email to a local folder on your computer, you first need to configure Outlook Express to send and receive email from email.usc.edu. For instructions on how to configure Outlook Express, see the Setting Up Outlook Express page.
To save email from your Inbox and other IMAP folders, you need to first create a corresponding folder on your local machine.
- While in Outlook Express, go to the File menu and select New and then Folder. The following window will appear.
The folders underneath email.usc.edu are your IMAP folders, which are stored on the email.usc.edu server. The folders under Local Folders are the email folders local to your machine. You can expand either list by clicking the plus sign next to the section.
- Select Local Folders. Under Folder name, type in the name of the local folder you want to transfer the mail to, for example, saved messages.
- You should now see the folder you created under the Local Folders section of Outlook Express. Repeat the following steps to create as many local folders as you need.
- You can select move messages from any IMAP folder by either dragging the messages to the appropriate local folder or going to the Edit menu and selecting Move to Folder. Select the folder to which you would like to move the message.
- To move the entire contents of a folder, you need to select the IMAP folder you will want to move and then select any message within the folder. Then go the Edit menu and choose Select All. You can now drag all the messages to the appropriate folder or use the Move to Folder menu option.
Outlook Express features extensive help guides to assist you with filtering, address book creation, and more. Look under the Help menu in Outlook Express. You can also find more information about these concepts at http://www.usc.edu/its/doc/internet/email/concepts.
If you have questions regarding these settings, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.